Ford Dropped to #4 :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mud,

Can you say the same about your first Trac?

As I said. My niece has a Tacoma. Junk, Junk, Junk.

Can you compare you Tundra to an F-150? They are two different vehicles. Compare the Trac to a Tacoma. Compare a Tundra to an F-150.

Tom

Can you compare you Tundra to an F-150? They are two different vehicles. Compare the Trac to a Tacoma. Compare a Tundra to an F-150.

Caymen, I am not speaking on "offroad" capabilities. I'm speaking about quality in general.

My first ST had more problems than my Tundra, but not enough to say it was sh!t. But, you must understand, I have owned two Sport Tracs, and they both never felt as solid as my Tundra. To be "dead nut honest," the Trac was a great looking ride, but after rusting runningboards, peeling steering wheel, squeeky seats, and 4 attempts to fix a windshield wiper motor PLUS what happened to my 2nd Trac, I just don't see how it could even touch my Tundra.

Granted, the 2001 ST I owned was a trooper when it came down to doing something, I still couldn't get over the overall cheap feel I got from the interior. Nothing hot about it at all...

I'm not bashing every ST, nor am I saying they are crap, but compaired to my Tundra... there's no question.

And this is coming from a guy who has owned both.

In fact, once I get things sorted out, I'm going to buy a 2001 or 2002 Trac for my pleasure ride. I really do like the 01 Tracs... I think the Trac will be perfect for hunting and boating days.

And this is coming from a guy who has owned both.

I know you are not bashing the Sport Trac.

Do you think it is fair to compare a Camry to a Focus?

Essentially that is what you are doing when you compare the Tundra to a Trac. Compare the Trac to a Tacoma and then tell me nwhat you think.

My niece has a Tacoma and my brothers buddy has one too. The Tacoma is not that quality people sing praises about. If it is, I think they have their heads up their arses.

Then you have this quote here on myst.com.

I have to say I miss my ST and had a great 6 1/2 years with it. The tacoma is a fine vehicle, but it feels a lot less refined than the ST - even compared to my job 1 2001. The newest Tacoma's borrowed a lot of ideas from the ST.

I just think is is only fair to compare the F-150 to the Tundra and the Tacoma to the Trac.

Comparing the Trac to the Tacoma is talking about how nice that Camry, or Avalon, is to the Focus you traded in.

Tom

Caymen, how is it unfair?

Explain why the quality issues are unfair?

I have not a single issue with my Tundra like I had with my ST's... NON OF THE ISSUES are due to the vehicle being bigger, larger, or more powerful. ALL are general items found on ALL CARS.

If ford can't get a squeaky seat right or basic windshield wiper motors to run correctly, then I hate to get into the real mechanics.

It's like comparing Apples to Oranges. Sure they're different and come from a different orchard. But, if the Apple is rotten because the farmer couldn't get it right, but the Orange is perfect---then I can compare because both had to farm, raise, water, seed, fertilize...one just did it better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm looking at (don't laugh) a 2007 CR-V AWD EX-L. They are realllllly nice and for under $28,000 I can get Leather, heated seats, moonroof, Navigation and rear-view camera (for reverse). I test drove one the other day. By far superior to the RAV4 (though, a V6 would be nice).

Warning. Don't test drive the RAV4 with the V6 unless your prepared to buy one. The V6 is AWESOME. 270 hp, 0-60 in 6.9 seconds and gets the same gas mileage as the CRV 4. One of the most exciting cars I have ever driven. Of course that's only when the wife lets me drive it. I agree with you that Honda quality is probably the best though. Got a couple of friends that have Civics with well over 200,000 and they have never been in the shop except for routine maintenance. I've been looking for a used CRV for my son. Can't find one I can afford. The resale price on those is incredible.

If you drive a RAV-4 and then drive a Mazda CX-7, you will throw rocks at the CX-7.

Mazda usually does build decent cars, but they screwed the pooch on the CX-7. The interior is cheap cheap cheap plastic, even on the top of the line AWD model. The nasty little turbo 4-cylinder engine would be great in a Miata, but it sucks in such a bigger vehicle. Sure, spooled up at 4-6,000 RPMs it pulls well, but there is no torque at all to get the CX-7 pig moving.

At least Ford can't take credit for the CX-7. I understand that the Mazda folks over in Japan created this abortion all on their own...

Honestly, I don;t see the quality of the Japanese imports. My niece drives a 1996 Toyota Tacoma. The knobs fall off the HVAC controls, the doors are paper thin. The body rattles and the dash is a cheap industrial plastic.

Tom, you are talking about an 11 year old vehicle. There are no 11 year old STs on the road yet. Toyota also was just getting into the truck business back then. Even given that, I suspect your ST will will be in the same or worse condition when it is 11 years old. Also, both of my STs rattled and they were both less than two years old. Both of my dashes were plastic too.

Warning. Don't test drive the RAV4 with the V6 unless your prepared to buy one

The specs kick ass, but I can't get over the plastic-cheap feeling interior. Just feels too cheap, IMHO.

I wish they offered a V6 CR-V, but I want 30MPG too... :)

mud, my sister has a new rav4 and i disagree that the interior is cheap feeling.

yes it would be nice if honda offered a v-6 with the new crv. the v-6 option in the rav is nice as it moves good for a small sport ute. before the 07 v-6 camry came out, the v-6 rav was the fastest production toyota !

Tom, you are talking about an 11 year old vehicle. There are no 11 year old STs on the road yet.

There are 11 year old Explorers and Rangers on the road. Since the Sport Trac is based off the Explorer, the interiors are the same.

Tom