Fuel gauge not working then works after engine restart

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodMac

Reaction score
2005 Sport Trac, I start it and start driving and the fuel gauge reads below empty with no warning light on for low fuel. I pull over and restart the engine and the gauge reads correctly. Any ideas on what is starting to fail? It does not read incorrectly every time I start it.

sounds like the sender is going bad in the tank.... replace the pump too...

I’ll wait for summer to change the sender and fuel pump. Thanks for the direction forward.

Fuel tank sender/sending unit is probably going bad. Very difficult to diag properly unless you're willing to drop the tank/remove the bed to access the fuel pump.. You would have to remove it and using a multimeter check for proper ohm's when lifting and lowering the float. Usually it's a sign the fuel pump is on it's last leg.. Ford fuel pumps have a tendency to stop working when hot, then starting again when cooled off. Hope that helps.. Good luck

If you are waiting for spring/summer to pull it you can try adding a few bottles of sea foam to your tank. It seemed to improve (although not totally cure) my gauge flakiness that was doing the same thing.

I am having a fuel gauge problem also. It has happened 4 times or so over the last month. The gauge just goes to empty and the low fuel indicator lights up and beeps. After a while it is back to normal the next time i start it. I assume it is what was said above.

Which sea foam product helped?

Thanks

2005 Sport Trac, I start it and start driving and the fuel gauge reads below empty with no warning light on for low fuel. I pull over and restart the engine and the gauge reads correctly. Any ideas on what is starting to fail? It does not read incorrectly every time I start it.
Mine has done that over the years also. 2004.
After restarting its fine.
I think its a CPU thing, just needs a reboot sometimes. Also maybe check battery voltage. After replacing my battery I haven't had the problem.
Good luck.

Latest posts