Fuel Pressure regulator hard cold start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Browning

Reaction score
Trac takes several cranks to start now. After initial cold start it is fine. You can start and stop it all day on first crank. But when you let it sit for a few hours all the pressure is gone. I replaced the pump a few years ago. I don't think it is that this time. I can do the cycle the key trick a couple times but that dosnt always work. Usually it wants to be cranked first and then the second attempt it starts.

Could it be the fuel pressure regulator? Just hit 103K miles. Where is the regulator? Pics?

I get a P0174 code every now and then too. Checked the elbows and all seem fine. I changed my fuel filter recently (100K) and banged up the little connectors pretty bad trying to get them off but I don't see leaks or anything so I don't think the pressure is leaking from there.

Changing the fuel pump is pita and I'd hate to do that again for nothing. Anyone have any ideas where I could be losing pressure while it sits?

Thanks! Jason

Jason, My 03 starts withon a second when warm... in the super cold and over night, i have counted 3-4 seconds during craking before it starts.....

Its normal

Todd Z

Jason, Next time you go to start it when cold, turn the key to on, but not to start, wait a moment, turn it off. Turn to on again, (not start) wait a moment, then Try to crank the engine. IF it starts right away, the check valve in the fuel pump may be bleeding off overnight.

After looking around more I would be surprised to hear someone say we have an external fuel regulator on the Trac. It appears to me it's an uninterupted line until it "Y"'s off to each fuel rail with the passenger rail having a schrader valve. Am I correct that the only fuel regulator is the check valve on the pump in the tank?

Unscientifically (no guage) I pushed the schrader valve and it barely dribbled out a few drops with truck off. Turned the truck on (running) and pushed it and it seemed to be a weak flow. I would assume with 60psi at idle that it would really spray out pretty hard. Isnt a garden hose only like 35 psi?

I put my ear next to the gas tank while it was running to listen to the pump. It seems to have a normal low whine. But possibly there is something wrong inside the tank again. I'm mad becasue i just changed it less than 20k miles ago (2 years ago). Plus this time it just seemed to fail immediately. Everything was fine until about a month ago and then it just happened. No more easy starts after it has been sitting for a while.

Any hoses or filters in the tank i should change while I have it down? I can't remember.

Anyone have a part number too for an 01? I'd rather pre-buy if possible but there seems to be different pumps.

Not for sure but '01 has a regulator with return line on the fuel rail. Should have 35psi @ idle and about 45psi at reving.