Got flipped the bird by a Ridgeline driver.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right, Tiger. He's not the 'all knowing, magnificent Q' as depicted in Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Guys, Guys, Guys.

The Ridgeline, as Honda puts it as "A true 1/2 ton truck".

Compare a 1/2 ton truck to a "1/2" ton truck.

By all definitions, the Ridgeline is a 1/2 ton truck. That means the Trac is too. The bed is rated at 1600 LBS for the Trac.

Now, lets compare the real 1/2 ton trucks.

Standard Towing

F-150......... 7100 LBS

Ram........... 6300 LBS

Silverado.... 7000 LBS

Sport Trac.. 5300 LBS

Titan.......... (not listed)

Tundra....... 4800 LBS

Ridgeline.... 5000 LBS

Compare apples to apples.

By definition the Ridgeline is a 1/2 ton truck. By comparison, the Ridgeline is a 1/4 ton truck.

Honda is making thier own segment in the market. They tried it with the Oddysey, but realized it wasn't working, so they went back to the drawing board and now competes with the real mini-vans.

Expect Honda to do the same 5 years from now.

Tom

6ae12d92def87c0c1ff7ff32dfae9c82.jpg

I'm sure the Honda will have the edge on resale whether its truly more 'valuable' or just a perception. When I was trying to decide between a Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe I checked on that, and the Toyota holds its resale value better - even though both cars are identical.

When shopping for a used car for my 16 y.o. She really wanted a Honda Civic 2 door, but when we started shopping, we quickly found out they command top prices. I ended up getting her a '97 Explorer Eddie Bauer with all the whistles for less than a Honda Civic.

"Dunno, but I still see 4-year-old STs on car lots for $18K."

You should see 4 year old Tracs listed for $18K on the car lots FOR A LONG time, because you can walk out the door with a new one for not much more.

TJR

Darin,

You have a point. Ultimatly, resale value is something to consider but in my opinion is nothing but misleading. You said something very interesting. The Matrix and the Vibe are identical. The Matrix will hold the resale better because it is a Toyota, NOT because it will be more reliable.

IMO, resale value is a perception. You think you are getting more out of that vehicle when you sell it. People like me don't sell thier cars after a few years. I like to drive them 10 years or so with well over 100,000 miles. Resale value doesn't mean a thing.

People forget that the Ridgeline is fr the Accord wner that wants an "Accord Sport Trac". They haul a bike, a little lumber, or something else that is small and are glad they got a pick-up.

Honda is bragging up the Ridgeline to make it sound more credible then it is. Anyone can call it what they want, the Ridgeline is still a Honda Pilot that is based off the same platform as the Oddyssey. Put a frame under it, weld cross supports, cut the back off, and throw a driveshaft to a rear differential. You might have a truck, but it is still a front wheel drive Pilot based off an Oddyssey.

We know how recomended a FWD vehicle is for towing....avoid it at all costs. The front end just isn't designed to handle the stresses of towing.

Tom

Caymen says: "Put a frame under it..."

I thought the Ridgeline all uni-body, thus no frame? And it was because the fact that it didn't have a frame that the box and cab sit atop that many felt is "just isn't a truck!". I could be wrong though, but that is what I read and heard.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Q, regarding "Fully Loaded", I never understood how someone could spend, say $18K on a fully-loaded vehicle that is 4 years old and off-warranty, when they could buy the same base vehicle (same engine, same model etc) for not much more (say $23K).

That is what we are talking about now. Sure, you can get a 4 year old, fully loaded ST for 18K, but you can also walk off the lot with a new XLT, Premium for $23K, and enjoy a warranty, no miles, and that "new car smell".

And, consider at that price, many will finance either purchase, consider the resale value 2, 3 or 4 years down the road.

TJR

fy10lyny,

It was his fault. He was the one that got mad at me for pointing and lauging. I have yet to see a person to laugh at me.

Tom

It was his fault that he got mad at you for being a bully!

WOW....Caymen...NICE ONE!

And, the fact that few people pick on you, that you know about, probably means you haven't run across that many people like yourself.

;-)

TJR

Caymen,

No bandwagon. I saw the original thread but didn't comment since it seemed out of character for you. I've got the impression that you would give a guy the shirt off your back (or rebuild his engine, or haul a few tons, or write a volume of how-to instructions) just for the asking. I finally jumped in around comment 100 because your pride in that petty act generated this mean-spirited thread and you seem clueless. But, I shouldn't have pasted that excerpt. That was fanning the flames and for that, I apologize.

Otherwise, I'm done. Our thoughts are on tracks that will never meet.

Q: That's full retail price. Who pays that in today's environment of 'rebates' and 'employee pricing'?

Wow, and here I thought you were the omnipotent Q.

Latest posts