I hate when people preach MPG to me - Say Sport Trac is a Gas Guzzler!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had somebody in a new corolla try to *guilt* me about the fuel I was putting into my sport trac. He went on and on about the superior fuel mileage of his new purchase and that he was saving the planet, ete,ete. I finally asked him"how much is your car note?" He told me that it was about 330 a month. I nodded and made a comment"that ain't bad, but I can buy an awful lot of gas for 330 a month especially since the 'Trac is paid off." It sunk in a minute later what I had said and he was crestfallen. I hated to bust his bubble, but I get tired of the moral supremacy crap I get from the wanne be tree huggers.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

If I ever had someone say something, I would simply say, "When your vehicle will pull my trailer, then talk to me. Until then, Shut your Fu^%ing mouth and mind your own Fu^%ing business".

Tom

it IS a gas guzzler...1500 miles mostly interstate driving and getting 16.5 MPG, towing nothing and nothing but my 195 butt in the seat...07 v8 4x4

it IS a gas guzzler...1500 miles mostly interstate driving and getting 16.5 MPG, towing nothing and nothing but my 195 butt in the seat...07 v8 4x4

Wow. That's pretty bad. Even my wife's 97 Expedition we just sold recently consistently got 21 on the highway and 16 in town. Is Ford in cahoots with the oil companies?

Is 16MPG in city good for 205HP V6 engine? I get about 15 with my V8 4X4 (not to mention full size). I think the numbers could be better... but if one can afford it then it will never be an issue... I believe that's where the question should lie... NOT," what gas millage is bla blah?" more like, "You can afford it, I can't... good for you."

Plus, those little corollas won't do so well in the woods where I hunt... or move... or pull the boat... or tractor... or tools... ect.

My company requires me to have a truck. They pay for the gas, too, which is good since I drive about 30-35,000 miles a year. That's in my 7 year old GMC Sierra, though. My wife uses the 'Trac, and she puts about 25k per year on it. Both trucks, by the way, get between 18-20 if we drive them right. On a long trip I've seen as much as 22mpg with the 'Trac.

guys, driving the speed limit in cruise control, only occasionally turning off the OD to pass a truck. Not a step on it kinda driver. Have the hard tonneau cover too, which is supposed to reduce air drag. I drive back and forth to work almost all interstate, about 18 miles each way. Drove once with my girl to see her family in Columbia, MO (we live in KC, MO) and it was all highway all the way, a tank full, about 350 miles. I hear what people here are saying but simply am not seeing it on my ST--07 v8 4x4 with the gyear Fortera's HL properly inflated.

webby,

You mileage may simply be the amount of traffic in the KC area. Even driving on the highways/interstates, if the traffic is heavy you are constantly slowing down and speeding up which is what eats up your gas mileage. even a small 5 MPH fluctuation in your speed can cause a loss of gas mileage. Nobody here in Texas drives at 55-65 MPH on the interstates. The normal driver is doing 79-75, and a lot of drivers are doing 80-85 MPH. I think anything above 19 MPG while driving 70+ MPH is very good gas mileage for a Sport Trac.

This past June I drove to Louisville, KY for the National Sport Trac meet. I left Waco, TX at 12 midnight and drove through the Dallas area and nearly to Texarkana and don't believe I ever had to hit the brakes except when I stopped for gas. I got over 22 MPG while driving 70-75 MPH. That mileage was due to the absence of traffice on the roads and the much cooler temperatures.

I would have never gotten that kind of mileage if I drove through the Dallas area freeways anyother time during the day, and especially not at rush hour. 20 MPG would have been the best I could hope for and it probably would have been closer to 18-19 MPG.

It could also be your driving style which is the biggest factor, followed by the traffic conditions, terrain, weather, etc.

...Rich

Anyone know where our emissions fall in the grand scheme of things? Yeah bad gas mileage means we use up more fossil fules on average, but how much crap are we putting out into the atmosphere? I would think that with 2 pre-cats. along with the cat and all of the other emssions control items on the truck that we're doing better then someone with a 10 yr old Honda that is getting 30 miles to the gallon.

jlevin, studies show that any major volcanic eruption puts out more harmful crap in the atmosphere than what man has put out since the invention of the fossil fuel power motor. Seeing as how volcanoes have been around for hundreds of millions of years, I'm not worried.

speed limit on these hways, 65-70. I use cruise control even on way to work, about 18 miles or so each way, about 97% interstate for that driving. driving style cannot be an issue here. use 87 octane.

if what I am hearing is true with no exaggeration (this is a crucial point) and of similar vehicles stock (07 v8 4x4) then my truck has an issue compared to the others. I only stomped it once getting onto a highway when I first got it to see what a v8 is all about. rest of the time as I describe above. no BS.

wadda ya think?

18 miles one way is not highway driving, highway driving is running (at the lease) an hour or more at a constant speed. I get the best mileage when I fill up, hit the highway, set cruise and stop when I am running out of fuel. (I drive all over for work)

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, what Olaf said....36 miles of highway driving a day, probably also means at least 4 or 5 local on that same day (you have to get on and off the highway, right), and then 18 miles has it's starts and stops. 350 miles on a single tank isn't that bad. It's probably almost 16mpg assuming you fill her to the brim. That's not bad for "around town".

As Olaf said, I can't beat that mpg with my '04 ST unless I drive 200+ miles on the highway...all in one trip, and then at around 72mph.

"My total is 26 yours must be 50 dollars".
Just tell 'em "That's becasue my tank is twice as big as yours. " :)

I knew what it got when I bought it, it has been no surprise. granted, I have to baby it to get the advertised mileage, but it does just what I want it to. I'll bet their little Camry, or whatever can't tow a 5k l trailer or carry a washer and dryer in the rear.

You can't compare a Camry to the ST. The ST is a truck and gets as good of mileage if not better then any truck out there with the exception of maybe a 4 banger, but who wants one of those?

I just tell people that I use my truck mostly for work so whatever I spend on gas is a tax write-off anyway and I'd much prefer to give money to the oil companies than the government.

That said, the Trac was getting expensive to drive even for me after I opened a second office of my company 25 miles away, so I got a used Neon to run back and forth in.

Latest posts