Internet Issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob moore 2

Reaction score
Been having internet issues for the past month. Im in E.TN and have comcast. it all started when i couldnt get online, i was patient and waiting for about an hour, called comcast, they said i was "losing packets right and left" and they would have to send out a tech. 15 min. after the call everything was back to normal. the next night it went out again but the next morning it was up again. the tech came out (i was at work) and when i came home asked the wife if it was fixed, she said yes he changed out something outside. i went out to look and it seems all he COULD have changed out was the connector that has the ground wire, but since i was able to get online i thought everything was fixed....WRONG.....every day between 5 and 7 pm it seems to go out, called comcast again....same issue, losing packets sending another tech out. i took today off to be here when he arrived. He called asked if he wasnt just out here a couple weeks ago, i said yes, he said nothing he can do, going to turn it over to maintance and they would be out in a couple days...it just seems strange that it goes out about the same time frame every night and is back up in during the days.

any ideas?

First of all, Never believe what the call center says about "we are working in your area" or "yes other people are calling in too". Next, always ask for an in house tech, so you do not get a subcontractor. Next, in most areas, appointments can be made from 7am to 7pm in 2 hour windows everyday, might want to watch what he does. Ask him to take levels with his DSAM. Make sure your within Comcast specs in your area. Not sure if its the same all over. Appointments in my area are the next day or following at the very latest. Them saying it will be several days or weeks for an appointment from a tech is unacceptable. Try doing a ping test during the day and that time between 5 and 7 when your trouble happens. Ask the tech to do a ping test, he should know how and make sure there are no "time outs" If you have at least windows 2000, click on "start", click on "Run", in that box that appears type in "cmd", click ok, in that black box type " ping www.yahoo.com -t " you'll keep getting replys, you should, it should not "time out" It could be the modem too, and if your renting from Comcast, they should replace it free. There may be factors that can be a charge like if you replaced a splitter in that room or ran your own lines to your modem etc.. Yes it could be a maintenance thing too, but these other things should be looked at first. Hope this helps.

In the past I have had problems with squirrels eating thought the cables and letting water into the cable which will mess with you connections, might want to check that. If you unscrew the cable where it comes into the house in hold it upside down to see if any water comes out.

comcast = cable which is at the mercy of how many are connecting at that time. Many people get home from work, connect to internet, check email, etc.

They may just be having issues with the demand.

I am also guessing from your down hours that you are simply experiencing over use in your neighborhood. I have the same issue in my large condo complex.

Latest posts