Jobs that are projected to loose the most by 2018

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Disappearing Jobs

Here's a list of the top 10 industries expected to lose the most jobs by 2018 -- and what to do if you're working in one of them:

1. Department stores: Projected to lose 10.2 percent of the 1.56 million jobs they had in 2008.

2. Semiconductor manufacturing: Projected to lose 33.7 percent of the 432,000 jobs it had in 2008.

3. Motor vehicle parts manufacturing: Projected to lose 18.6 percent of its 544,000 jobs.

4. Postal service: Projected to lose 13 percent of the 748,000 jobs it had in 2008.

5. Printing and related jobs: Projected to lose 16 percent of its 594,000 jobs.

6. Cut-and-sew apparel manufacturing: Projected to lose 57 percent of its 155,000 jobs.

7. Newspaper publishers: Projected to lose 24.8 percent of its 326,000 jobs.

8. Mining support jobs: Projected to lose 23.2 percent of its 328,000 jobs.

9. Gas stations: Projected to lose 8.9 percent of its 843,000 jobs.

10. Wired telecom: Projected to lose 11 percent of its 666,000 jobs.

The postal service should have lost 100% of its jobs--it's bankrupt.

Why are gas stations dying out to the tune of almost 10%?

Semiconductor manufacturing? I find that one interesting.

Most on rogers list will be done Robotically, gas stations will be around, but not the morons that man them, same will be true of checkers at the food stores.

Why are there no Political jobs on the list ???:angry:

If we got rid of half the politicians in Washington we would get twice as much done. :banana:

Isn't it ironic that when the economy is bad, and businesses are willing to kiss the customers ass to keep their business, the first people they layoff are the employees who service the customer?? Perhaps if they got rid of more of the managers, supervisors, and other people who are making the dumb decisions that are costing the company money. Then they might just be able to recoup some of the money they have lost and keep some of their loyal customers.

...Rich

Who would replace the managers?

At best, existing employees would all move up the hierarchy, putting experienced customer service personnel into management positions so that their knowledge could benefit the company...but even that ideal scenario would then mean that new blood would have to be hired to fill the grunt customer service jobs that are vacated by the promotions, and even under "experienced and efficient" management, green and potentially ill-suited employees will interact with the customer, which will lead to less customer satisfaction.

Laying off managers in general and en masse, like they're some sort of Jonah to the ships of commerce won't solve anything.

KL,

Don't replace the managers!...I have worked for a number of companies that were way too top heavy and were smart enough to see that. They layed off Managers and Directors and are now better companies for doing it.

The company I now work for is like that. They fired one VP, a number of other middle managers, including the Director of HR. They hired more worker bees and much more is getting done and faster, and our company is still growing.

If people think that a company cannot run without an army of managers they are not thinking outside the box. It's those managers decisions they made months or years earlier that are causeing much of the company's financial problems now.

There is an old saying:

If you always do what you always done,

You always get what you always got

Or putting it another way:

Only and insame person keeps doing the same thing over and over again and expects that each time the results to be different.

For years the common practice has always been for companies to cut costs by getting rid of their biggest expense which is employees/lobor. The problem is they are getting rid of the workers who are getting the job done, while keeping the managers who are directing the layoffs of workers.

Yes, unfortunately there are situations were there are more worker than there is work, but even that results from poor management and planning not because the worker did anything wrong.

Yes, companies need to cut costs, but that should have been done anyway even while the company was profitable. That was decisions made by management. As long as the managers and CEO's are keeping their jobs and getting their bonuses, they continue to keep making the same poor planning decisions and the worker gets laid off.

...Rich

Ah, RL I understand now.

I thought you were saying to kick all the managers out and have a workers' revolution sort of thing, instead of cutting out just the superfluous managers to make a more lean bureaucracy, which gets stuff done, for less $.

Man, that's the second time I've misinterpreted something...maybe being in a sea of extremely vocal left-wing rabble-rousers is affecting me :(

KL,

I'm not extreme not am I anywhere close to Left-wing. I just call em as I see em. :haveabeer:

Actually I have been in management for a number of years so I know how the game is played. Most of the deadwood in any organization is in the mangement ranks and yet they have the greatest amount of impact on the bottom line. I have worked for companies where managers would waste a lot of company money dumping their expensive problems on other departments, just to make themselves and their departments look good. When one manager tried to outsource some work his department was supposed to do and charge my department for the extra cost he found out who he was messing with. A few weeks later it was reported that he had decided to pursue other opportunities elsewhere...That's polite for he got fired or was asked to resign.

I'm not saying that all or even most managers or CEOs are worthless. A managers job is to plan for the continuing financial health of the company under all circumstances which includes economic declines. As I see it, many don't do that kind of planning very well and when the economic slump hits they just react like they always have reacted. They blame it on the employees, by laying them off, cutting benefits, salaries, hours, etc. Whatever it takes to keep their jobs secure. The simple fact remains that had they planned and made contingencies for economic hard times, they very well could have avoided or at least reduced the impact on their company.

When the world gives you Lemons, you had better made plans and know how to make lemonade.

...Rich

My industry is not in that list! :supercool:

Actually my industry is coming back. We are hiring people out the yin yang. Hourly, salary, engineering, etc.

Anyone in the NE Ohio area looking for a job, let me know.

Tom

Gary,

You are more than welcomed to submit a resume. I doubt you are qualified for much though.:bwahaha:

Tom

"...he's a man who leads a life of danger, to everyone he meets, he stays a stranger" (Cough)

Actually my industry is coming back. We are hiring people out the yin yang. Hourly, salary, engineering, etc.

Until the truth of the other thread on here catches up to this OH industry, and it too leaves the boring blue state for sunny Georgia.

Engineering huh? If the geography of OH didn't blow, I could go out there and help make Whitey more than a bit player in the discipline, and hey, you and I could square off at 20 paces and settle things on lunch break.

Bring your pirate gun, and your Jack Sparrow gitup, and I'll get some Hornblower/Aubrey duds and a flintlock and it could be a fun job...and then your position would strangely be open. :bwahaha:

KL,

Engineering huh? If the geography of OH didn't blow, I could go out there and help make Whitey more than a bit player in the discipline, and hey, you and I could square off at 20 paces and settle things on lunch break.

Bring your pirate gun, and your Jack Sparrow gitup, and I'll get some Hornblower/Aubrey duds and a flintlock and it could be a fun job...and then your position would strangely be open.

What the hell are you smoking, and what are you talking about?? If that was supposed to be funny, I missed the punchline.

You sound like an intelligent guy, so speak English and try to stay on the subject..Thanks

...Rich

It's a joke, hence the smiley.

You missed the punchline, well, I guess we can't all understand comedic genius. Smoking anything isn't my idea of a good time, don't assume that it is.

I'm speaking English, and it's mildly ironic that you'd mention that.

BTW, trying to insist that someone stay on topic on the OFF TOPIC board makes no sense.

This thread was dead, for drudging it up with something not pertinent you get the :postwhore:

icon of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Caymen's company's standards are pretty low.

Personally, I wouldn't hire anyone out of the ying yang.

I don't like people that pull things out of their arse, I certainly don't want to hire people from their either.

:banana:

TJR

Latest posts