Jobs that are projected to loose the most by 2018

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jobs expected to lose the most positions by 2018--Food vendors at the 2010, 2012, 2014, and 2016 Olympics. Job loss = 100%

Jobs expected to gain the most positions by 2018--Food vendors at the 2018 Olympics. Job gain = 100%

KL,

Sorry I missed the joke, but most jokes have some connection or segway from the previous topic. I did not see any connection, and thus was totally confused as to what you were talking about.

I only commented on your post because recently you have made some other rather way off topic comments that were so far off topic that I wondered if you were still on this planet with the rest of us?

No problem.. I will just make a note to myself that KL has a very strange sense of humor and is prone to go off to his own little happy place from time to time. :grin:

...Rich

:back2topic:

Some observations/thoughts on this list:

Items 2,3, and 6 are no surprise. Our economy has been shifting from one rooted primarily in manufacturing to a largely service-based economy for over two decades now. Number eight, Mining Support Jobs, could probably be tied in to this too.

Item four, Postal service: There's a news article today that talks of USPS projecting a possible $7 billion loss this year. USPS, like Amtrak, is a gov't-run Charlie Foxtrot that can't compete with private sector competitors like UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.

Item seven, newspaper publishers: This is no surprise either. There are many other sources for news nowadays than traditional newspapers, making it a fiercely competitive industry. So subscriptions have dropped off dramatically, and subsequently advertising revenue also. This has also probably caused a ripple effect with regard to Item Five, Printing and related jobs.

Item number one, Department Stores: A byproduct of the recession. Folks are much more frugal with their money nowadays, and look for the best value for their money. Dept stores are often much more expensive than other retailers. And folks often find better deals for the same or similar products on line.

Item nine, Gas Stations: Gas station/convenience stores make most of their profit from all of the other stuff sold in their stores, not gas. So this is probably another result of the recession. Most of the time, the crap you can buy in a gas station/convenience store is much cheaper at another outlet, like a grocery store, Wal-Mart, etc.

Item ten, Wired Telecom: No surprise here either. Many folks are ditching their land-line phones and keeping just a cell phone. And the wireless phone/internet market has stepped up the competition too with the introduction of "tetherable" cell phones, MiFi, etc. Also, the satellite TV providers offer very competitive packages to lure customer away from cable TV providers. Not only that, but just about everything you can watch on cable TV can be viewed on line at sites like Hulu, etc.

Of course, items 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10 share another common denominator that has probably had a significant impact on their job losses... However, my asbestos suit is in the cleaners, so I won't bring it up right now.:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
United

States

Postal

Service

is not run by the feds.

??? Then who runs it, Bill? It's a gov't-owned/operated business, just like Amtrak. With a Postmaster General, appointed by the President and approved by the Senate.

TrainTrac,

I actually agree with you 100% in all your assesments of the various businesses except Miniing Support Jobs...These jobs are more impacted on the economy and recessions. When we can buy the mined resources overseas and ship them here, it is probably because of the cheaper labor and less stringent mining safety laws in those countries.

If countries with the cheaper labor, etc do not have the resouces we or other nations need they cannot penetrate our markets. Mining will always be strong were the US has the abundance of resources and there is a high demand for that resource. Of course if the world economy slows down enough, the demand for raw resources will also decline

As for the USPS: It a bit unfair to compare the USPS to UPS, FedEx, etc. These commercial parcel deliver services are charging 10 -20 times more than the postal service does. Even USPS Express mail is much cheaper than UPS or FedEx charges for similar service. You can't get either UPS or FedEx to deliver a simple letter by ground for anything close to what the Post Office charges.

The problem with the USPS is similiar to AmTrak...The both are in need of a very expensive overhaul and redesign. They are no longer self-sustaining, and have not been so in many decades. The US government keeps pumping in emergency money to keep both of these entities alive, but never enough money to bring them up to date and with prospects of a better future.

Perhaps it's time the government gets rid of USPS (and AmTrack) and let commercial companies like UPS or FedEx develop replacement solutions

...Rich

Bill's right--USPS is an independent agency of the federal government--but as an independent agency, it is considered a civilian business. It is the second-largest civilian employer in the U.S. (behind Wal-mart), and maintains the largest civilian vehicle fleet in the world. It receives no federal or other tax dollars.

United

States

Postal

Service

By that logic, US Bank and USAir are also run by the feds...

Bill V,

I think you are mincing some things.

Are USPS workers government employees? Yes or No?

Is the USPS an agency of the federal government, independent or otherwise? Yes or No?

Is the USPS sponsored in large part by tax dollars? Yes or No?

Quotes from the USPS website:

Government employees can download the appropriate forms to designate a beneficiary...

We were recognized in a national study, the 2006 Privacy Trust Study of United States Government, as the most trusted federal agency by our customers.

Also, is their website: usps.com, or usps.gov?

Walks like, talks like a duck to me.

So, YES, I guess the issue is the choice of the words: "run by the feds".

True, the USPS is not RUN BY THE FEDS, per say, depending on what your definition of "run" is. But to that end, nor is GM "run" by our government; nor is Amtrack. But all of these are sponsored by our government, propped up by our tax dollars and therefore not playing at the same rules and on the same playing field as their truly independent public business competitors.

I think that was the main point; that these govt sponsored agencies can't and don't even need to compete with their public competitors.

Gravitating towards a single word a person says and pouncing on it without asking a clarifying question is really bad form, IMHO, and a sign of disrespect, and leads to the hostile environment we see here often.

TJR

Bill said:
The USPS is not run by the feds, the workers are not fed employees, the USPS get 0 funding from the feds,period.

Granted, Bill.

But...

None of those things you state as facts discount nor further the main point that TrainTrac seemed to be trying to make when he said:
USPS, like Amtrak, is a gov't-run Charlie Foxtrot that can't compete with private sector competitors like UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.

There probably was an easier, nicer way to educate TT or to try to understand his main point, I suspect.

For a guy that is quick to point the finger at others who are making this a hostile environment I am sure you understand how being a little less "pouncy" and a little more "inquisitive" and "constructively instructive" could be a good thing.

Have a good day.

TJR

Bill's right--USPS is an independent agency of the federal government--but as an independent agency, it is considered a civilian business.

Then why is it a Federal offense to tamper with U.S. mail, but not items shipped through their competitors (UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.)?

If USPS is a "civilian business", then why does the Postmaster General need to ask for Congressional permission to eliminate Saturday delivery to avoid possibly losing $7 billion this year? Why can't he just make that decision on his own, if he's in effect, the "CEO" of this "civilian business"? For that matter, if this "civilian business" is performing so poorly, why not just let it go under? There are plenty of competitors in the same market that can provide the exact same services, often more efficiently and at less cost to the consumer.

And then, there's that little 'ol thing called the U.S. Constitution, specifically Article I, Section 8:

The Congress shall have Power To To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

TrainTrac,

The issue Bill and Bill seem to have is your choice of one word in your original point.

Maybe once you guys get past that one word maybe your original point can be discussed.

TJR

Bill Barber,

To answer your question:

Until 1971 the USPS was a federally govt run institution because at that time and before the Postmaster General was a member of the president's cabinet. After that time, it was an independent agency with the Postmaster General the CEO of the USPS.

But, my definition doesn't matter, frankly, as I never made the assertion.

You might want to ask TT the question as to why HE thinks it is a federal govt run institution and what he means by such, because he seems to have made that assertion when making his original point.

TJR

tjr, enough butts and historyonics, Is the USPS a federal entity or not?

can be anwered with one simple word, not a bunch of gibberish.

Bill V,

You got me on the last one (.gov), but I'm not so sure about the other two.

The USPS website refers the USPS employees as "government employees", see link:

http://www.usps.com/employment/beneficiary.htm

Tax dollars do go to subsidize the USPS, the question is what does "large part" mean to you.

Take a look at the PDF below which explains how the president sends to Congress the "Unified Federal Budget" which includes monies for the USPS. Sounds like a large subsidy to me coming from tax dollars.

(granted the referenced doc does make the case that the USPS being in the unified federal budget leads to confusion, and overstatement of its subsidy from the federal govt, and I agree with that...but the fact remains that "on the books" the USPS looks like a federally funded agency, at least in part).

TJR

The USPS is often mistaken for a government-owned corporation (e.g., Amtrak), but as noted above is legally defined as an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States," (39 U.S.C. 201) as it is wholly owned by the government and controlled by the Presidential appointees and the Postmaster General. As a quasi-governmental agency, it has many special privileges, including sovereign immunity, eminent domain powers, powers to negotiate postal treaties with foreign nations, and an exclusive legal right to deliver first-class and third-class mail. Indeed, in 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a unanimous decision that the USPS was not a government-owned corporation, and therefore could not be sued under the Sherman Antitrust Act.[21] The U.S. Supreme Court has also upheld the USPS's statutory monopoly on access to letterboxes against a First Amendment freedom of speech challenge; it thus remains illegal in the U.S. for anyone other than the employees and agents of the USPS to deliver mailpieces to letterboxes marked "U.S. Mail."[22]

Latest posts