My '07 is getting a new engine!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Freeman

Reaction score
I took my '07 into the shop today because it was knocking soon after I took delivery last week. I had heard from Olaf, here on mysporttrac.com, that it is probably a cam phaser. However, Ford told the dealer that they would rather just swap the engine out than work on it. It's possible that it wasn't just a cam phaser.

I have a brand new Explorer as a loaner until they get the engine in on Thursday. They should have it done Friday or next Monday at the latest.

I'm VERY surprised that they are doing this. Any thoughts?

I am not. I say they ran the engine VIN and maybe sent a bad engine/bunch. Easier and less $ to swap. I ahve heard of 100-200 vehicles getting built then swap out bad part at factory after the engine/parts plant fess's up.

Yes, this is the regular 3V valvetrain tick. Abnormal hydraulic lash adjustors (lifter springs referenced here) result in the symptoms. The revised cam phaser went into production in and has been in every U/P251 on post-Job1 units. Is covered under warranty. ;)

Jeez, I gues I am lucky. It took 65,000 miles for the engine to give up the ghost in my ST....... (sarcasm)

Uh oh! :eek: I hope that this is not the BEGINNING of the surprises that we may find sooner than later on this new ST. I know quirks come around all the time, but since they have had a whole year to re-do EVERYTHING from the ground up, it would seem as if an engine woould not be the first thing to signal an alarm. Maybe that's why I am going to wait until next March to get an 07, by then things like this will be remedied or changed/improved so that it doesn't give US or FORD the blues! Here's HOPING.....! :eek:

So much for having a "numbers matching" vehicle. This will cost you when you try to sell it through Barrett-Jackson in 20 years. ;) Seriously... good to hear Ford is willing to make things good and you don't have to fight for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They better put a V8 in it because that's what's coming out of it. :D I'm OK with a new engine, honestly. I've heard that the F150's that have this 4.6L have had similar knocking issues, so it's a common thing. It's possible I demand a new ST, they agree, then I get one with a knocking engine again. It's not worth the hassle to me. I'd rather give them 3 attempts to get it right and then go for lemon law. My neighbor's sister had a 4.6L in her F150 and they rebuilt it after it had a knocking issue and it was never the same, it just had less power. So, if they want to crate in a brand new powerplant, then I'm willing to let them. I'll eat my words, later, if I'm not happy. I can always sand down the seial number and restamp my own before I take it to Barrett-Jackson, too.:p

Best time to get an ST w/ all the content is between Job2 and December. (Before the material cost-reduction actions get put into place...) :)

Pat, they were originally going to give me a new engine in my 5.4L F150 as well. Then Ford put at stop to that and just had them repair it. Hopefully the replacement engine does the trick for you.

They're taking care of it, that's great, but what a bad first impression. It's like Josh and his new fangled Titan way back when.

Too bad you did not get the truck back for a day or so, That would have been fun to drive with the traction control off, and in first gear on the rev limiter for several blocks !!!

( not that I would recommend this, nor do it)..

AHH, who AM I llieng to, I would have beat the snot out of it..

Glad ford is taking care of it..

None of the 22 trucks we Had in CA made any kind of noise, and we put them through hell..

Todd Z

I would have demanded a new truck. That is what you paid for.

Who knows what will be screwed up by the installation of a new engine.

Sorry, but that is my opinion.

I would have demanded a new truck. That is what you paid for.

Who knows what will be screwed up by the installation of a new engine.

Sorry, but that is my opinion.

Gavin, he's getting a new engine, that is the heart of his new truck. I say WTG Ford for taking care of the man's concern in a big way! Congrats Pat :)