My '07 is getting a new engine!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WTG Ford! Not a week old and your replacing an engine!

Give me a break. You paid for a new truck, not a rebuilt (YES, it's a rebuilt truck now).

Making the same payments as a brand new one? But you have a rebuilt truck? I am confused.

I wouldn't be happy. Not. At. All.

Give me a break. You paid for a new truck, not a rebuilt (YES, it's a rebuilt truck now).

New Truck + Engine with Knock = Impending Doom. New Truck + Rebuilt Engine = New truck with Rebuilt Engine. New Truck + New Engine = New Truck. Since they drove it so far to deliver it to you who's to say they didn't drive the pi$$ out of it. That may be another reason Ford is so willing to put a new engine in it. Pat, I think you and Ford are doing the right thing; at least you will be responsible for the break in and not someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't trust my dealer's mechanics to have nearly the same precision and smarts to install a new engine as I would the factory assembly line, where they have calibrated torque wrenches, specialty tools, jigs and fixtures, and workers who do the installation steps all day long, over and over, with the assistance of industrial engineering. The mechanics at my dealer would likely leave out fasteners, forget to tighten some, strip threads on others, crush wires and hoses, and generally goof things up.

Sorry, but I would not take a new truck with a rebuilt engine. I would make Ford replace the truck with a new one and they can sell the old rebuilt one as a used vehicle or program car, etc.

You've got it nailed Gavin

It's a crap shoot at best at the dealer.

Is a newbie assigned to your brand new truck, or an experienced wrench?

Remember they work and are paid by prescribed book time.

I wouldn't risk any of it. Taking the hood off in itself could potentially result in fine scratches, missing screws, improper torque, no locktite, etc.

They won't give him a new truck. I went through this same argument with my F150, as soon as you buy it, it is yours. At that point they are only responsible for fixing any issues. If they can't fix the issue then lemon laws kick in.

Wow, tons of action on this thread! I really appreciate all the comments and advice. I decided to not argue with them about the engine replacement because I didn't think they would be open to taking the vehicle back. If anyone has experienced, or knows anyone who experienced a dealer taking a car back because something doesn't sound right in it, let me know because I could have that in my back pocket if I'm not happy.

A few things make me think getting them to buy it back without allowing them attempting to fix it is practically impossible. For one, there are no drivability issues. It just makes a noise. I don't know what damage it's causing to the engine, and I don't think Ford knows either, so they're eliminating all the possibilities with a new engine. That could be because they only have 3 attempts to get it right before they're stuck with a lemon and a loss. Maybe their engineering department wants to tear it down and see if there's something specific about the problem that could be related to the ST. If they did buy it back, they would have to replace the engine and could only sell it as a use car because it was titled. Swapping the engine in this short a time seems to be the best way to get the customer on the road with the least hassle possible.

Personally, I'm happy I don't have any inconveniences. Even if they screw it up trying to get the engine in, they have to make it right or I won't accept it. No, there are no guarantees that things are going to be perfect, as it was when I had to have the entire driveline, axle, rear and suspension removed to replace a clutch slave cylinder in my 97 Vette. But, it drives just fine. As long as I'm happy with what I get back, I'll gladly give them their new Explorer back. If they can't make it right, I'll put the miles on the loaner until they can get it right, all the time complaining to Ford customer assurance.

Frankly, Pat, you may not KNOW there is a problem after they replace the engine for months, or years, or maybe until just off warranty.

This is why dealers should treat new cars like new PCs. If you get a lemon in, oh say the first 3 months, you swap it in for a total trade; then the dealer/mfgr can "refurbish" the traded in vehicle and resell.

Seems to me win-win if you do it that way!

TJR

First of all...the replacement engine will be brand new in crate, NOT rebuilt. Secondly the old engine will go back to R&D for troubleshooting, tear down. Thirdly the factory guys that assemble just "deck" the motors. There are actually more than 30 people, at least that install components, and other stuff. The crate motor will come in the same way they are delivered to the factory. The dealer should be well qualified to replace engine. Its a 4.6L been around for 14 years now. I doubt they will remove hood. The F-150 involves removing entire front cab to replace engine. You'll be fine :)