NEED NEW LAPTOP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob moore 2

Reaction score
Im in need of a new laptop and ive been allowed $650 by the boss(wife) to get one. Anyone got time to look at CC or Best Buy and make some suggestions. Usage will basically be internet, a few games and basic stuff.

thanks

rob

I purchased mine for $698.00 at Best Buy.

Windows Vista, 2 gig of Ram, 180 gig hard drive. 15 1/2 inch screen.

Here are the specs...

Duo Core (Dual Core)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good deal listed on Fat Wallet for a Dell.

If you're interested, it does spec out nicely and is a good but in my opinion.

I agree with Dave. Watch FatWallet or Slickdeals.net for deals on Dell laptops. They show up pretty frequently, and they're decent laptops.

Dont know if you have an Aldi foods in your area.. but this is one hell of a deal..

Medion is a very great company...

i have 2 medions right now.. one for more then 5 years..

Specs

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-53 Dual-Core processor (1.7 GHz) for true multitasking: run all applications simultaneously with increased performance; runs applications faster and smoother

massive 2048 MB DDR 2 SDRAM for maximum performance

huge 160 GB hard drive - store up to 35,000 digital pictures or MP3 tracks (4MB each)

NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 graphics, supports up to 320 MB Turbo Cache

15.4" WXGA bright display

8x multi-standard dual layer DVD/CD rewriter

10 / 100 Mbit Fast Ethernet LAN port

wireless LAN 802.11b/g

6-channel surround sound for concert hall-like experience

extensive software package including Windows Vista Home Premium

2 year limited manufacturer's warranty - up to $99 value

Whatever you buy, don't buy a Toshiba. There are entire websites devoted to keeping people from being ripped off by Toshiba. Type Toshiba sucks into any search engine.

In the ten years I've been self-employed, I've owned three, each as my every day computer. All were entry level.

Compaq - An early Pentium. Pretty well made, still running despite being 10+ years old, and having commuted with me to job sites about 4 out of 5 days over a three year span. This machine was made prior to HP taking over Compaq.

Toshiba - A entry level Celeron machine. Excellent design and ergonomics, but two different hard drives died over a 3 year period of everyday use. Still have it, still works, still in cosmetically perfect condition after 5 years, but I don't trust it for critical work because of the hard drive issue.

Winbook - Current machine, entry level 1.6Mhz Celeron M with 768MB RAM and Win XP. I frequently have five to eight applications running at once, and the machine can keep up just fine. Salesman warned me that it was a bottom of the heap PC and that I shouldn't expect it to last. Paid $350 after rebates, and the machine is still going without hiccups after a year and a half of every day use. I've already gotten my money's worth. If it lasts another year or two, that will please me.

Obviously, I don't believe in buying top of the line gear. I've just never felt the premium price was justified, at least for the type of work I do. I don't travel as much as I used to, and that helps the current machine hold up better.

Medion from Aldi. My brother just got one. $599.00 and an awesome PC. I have a Medion Laptop that is 4 years old. Still running like a champ. The only issues I had was a new DVD-RW (Burned over 500 DVD's on it before it died) and a new HDD a few weeks ago. The old HDD did not fail, it was just getting noisy. No biggie.

I would have gotten the new one, if I did not already get a new HDD for this one.

I would buy another in a second.

The only downfall to the Laptop from Aldi is the fact that it comes with Windows Vista. On the upside, it is Vista Home Premimum, and not the basic version.

Tom

Note on Aldi is it is VERY limited to the store (my local Aldi only had 20 in stock and sold out in less than 2hrs) and Aldi also does not take credit cards.

I would build a computer that suit me on Dell.com. Pay with the amount you were given (650), then put the rest on very small monthly payments through Dell. My little brother did that and bought his own laptop. He was 13 when he did that :)

suggestions:

if you are getting a computer with vista:

Nothing less then 2 gigs of ram

Nothing less the 80 gigs of Hard Drive Space

Then you have to ask yourself how mobile you are going to be.

-if you are carrying it around every day -> I recommend a 14 inch widescreen

-If it sits on your desk -> I recommend a 17 inch windescreen

Other than that, if you are not needing extreme power, you will be happy with whatever you buy if you answer these simple questions and follow my suggestion of hardware.

Good Luck

Note on Aldi is it is VERY limited to the store (my local Aldi only had 20 in stock and sold out in less than 2hrs)

You can request that Aldi bring you one in from a store in a lower income class neighborhood.

Tom

Best Buy now has some entry level Sony's that are within your price range, and seem to offer outstanding value and features for the $$. I read up on them and am going to go up the my local Best Buy and see about it this weekend.

Best buy has them online for $579.00 and it says not available for store pickup, but I know a lady who bought hers at best buy locally for $579.00 and loves it.

Good Luck.

Just got a flyer from CompUSA via email:

Nov 2nd & 3rd:

Acer Aspire Celeron M 520, 512MB, 80GB hd, 15.4" LCD, Win Vista ... $299.

Hard to beat that, unless you need a more powerful PC. It's this one:

Latest posts