NO 4x4 (not working) any sggestions? FIXED!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Heckler

Reaction score
Good evening. We are getting snow in Phily and on my way home I decided to try the 4x4. Switched to 4H and nothing happened. I try the 4x4 every couple of months just to make sure it is OK. I had some front end suspension work done with in the last month. Is there anything that could have been disconnected?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

ScoTt

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a search and found some suggestions that the motor for the front will rust and stick and that you can hit it with a hammer to break it free. Would I expect to hear something trying to engage if this was the case? 4H and 4L settings do nothing. No sound, no light . . . nothing.

If you are sitting still with the radio off and flip it to 4x4 do you hear the relay click? If not that is where you should start. I am sure some more people with chime in with their experiences shortly.

here is a link with some help

and from that thread

re: 4x4 motor gone?... make any sense? by ChrisTMember Profile,9/20/2006 12:49 MT

Does it sound like there is a click under the passenger footwell when you turn the switch? There is a relay that others have had a problem with. No click, then possibly a relay problem. If you hear the click, then get under the ST and GENTLY tap the motor with a hammer. If you have not engaged it in 4x4 in a while(and it sounds like you have not), the motor can freeze up and it just needs a little persuasion... If it clicks and the motor still won't turn after some persuasion, you guessed it, it's probably the motor! ;-) Of course, all of the above assumes you have checked the fuse to make sure it's ok.

Hope that helps

So if you don't hear any click it is likely the relay that needs to be replaced.

I found the module after breaking the kick plate :angry::angry: the plastics on the fords normally just snap off but I guess with the cold temperature it did not take that much before it snapped in half.

The connections feel tight. When I turn on the trac the dash lights for the 2H and 4H do not light up. If I start the trac and turn the knob to 4H nothing happens. Is the relay I should hear near the module or part of the module? Does anyone know where and what fuse to check?

Thanks

ScoTt

chad - could it be a fuse? I looked at all the fuses and they appear to be OK. Did you replace the module yourself? It looks pretty simple. I just don't want to spend $175 to find out it is a fuse.

Mine was replaced by the dealer under ESP warranty. As for a fuse you would have to look through your owners manual and find the fuse for the 4X4 module, but I doubt it is a fuse.

The relay is part of the module. If the module/relay is not working, the 4H and 4L lights won't light up. The relay is what makes the clicking noise and sends power to turn the motor. The module controls the lights and the signal from the switch to the relay. It could be the switch, but I have not read of many having a switch problem, but have read of many having the module/relay problem.

Can't help with where the fuse is, but it's probably in the owners manual. I'm at work right now, so can't really do a lot of searching on that one.

I had the exact same problem this past fall. Turns out it was the module under the kick plate, went to a wreckers, got a new one for about 50.00 from a wrecked ST with only 7k on it. Straight simple swap out and Im alve and kicking again... I owuld recommend you try to do the same.

Hey Big D - I decided to contact the dealer parts counter. They will have the module for me this evening around 4:00. I hope that is the problem. All the input I have gotten points this way.

ScoTt

Thank you all for the information. $175 part 5 minutes labor (three of that finding the screw I dropped) and the 4x4 is working great! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::cool::cool::cool:

From what I hear I saved abot $200 in labor. I could have also found a junk yard but for electrical parts I really wanted new from the dealer.

ScoTt

I'll have mine tomorrow morning, same problem. This is a great site for information. I have a friend that works in the parts department, should be discounted.

Gasman87 - just be careful not to break the kick plate that covers the module as I did. There is a catch about an inch from the bottom of the dash that will require you to slide the kick plate sideways towards the out side of the trac to get it to unhook. It's different then most of the other plastic clips that just slide into a slot. My camera is not here or I would have taken a picture.

ScoTt

Latest posts