Potential ST Owner

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64847

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between a ST '07 and a Frontier Crew Cab '06. Can anyone tell me what they like and dislike and what you think are necessary options after having owned one? Thanks in advance, Tim in FL.

Tim,

What up?? First thing is first the ST is way better looking than the frontier... I heard the nissan is nice but the st has great power and style...handles like a dream, this is the 2nd 1 i have owned...go with the st...let us know what you decided

Bill

I have a 1st generation '01 ST, and have driven an '07. The '07 is more roomy, and more refined. I haven't seen any "necessary" aftermarket add-ons. The only add-on I've seen people put on / change out is a Cold Air Intake. You'll have to test drive each to see which one you like the best. :D

Tim-

when I first started looking for a truck I too was deciding between the Frontier and the ST. They were relatively the same as far as price, but what sold me on the ST was that the back seat has a slight recline to it whereas the Frontier feels very much like a jump seat, and the rear window coming down was a big selling point. The frontier does have more HP, but it just felt too much like a truck to me inside. Oh yeah and the bed seemed really shallow- and no liner.

Plus you can't beat having a group like this at your disposal :)

I haven't driven the '07, but I'm sure it still beats the Nissan. Good luck!

-Heather in OC

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me, or am I the only one who never plans on sitting in the back seat of my own vehicles? I can only think of one reason to do so, and I would probably have better things on my mind :wub:

I own both a 2001 Sport Trac and a 2002 Frontier Crew Cab S/C. Things I like about my Frontier are nice speed (its got a S/C 3.3L where the ST just has a 4.0L) I can get to 60mph in about 8secs in the Frontier (intake, exhaust and some mods to the s/c) where in the ST it takes forever (it also weights about 1800 pounds more also). The ride in the Frontier is ALOT smoother (comes stock with rancho shocks VS the craptastic ford shocks) the Frontier also has a longer bed where the ST doesnt really have one without the bed extender (which is extra $$$). Sound system in the Frontier is also better with a 6 disc RF unit and 7" door speakers with 8" RF subwoofer. More room I would give to the ST. Both interiors look cheap and plastic feeling (cause they are) I like the interior set up of the Frontier better. I have'nt drivin in a newer Frontier or a newer ST but I bet both are well worth the money. Best advise I have to give is go test drive both and whatever feels good to you go for it.

PS: I've also had to fix multiple things on the ST but never once on the Frontier. Have to give it up to Nissan they built a pretty soild truck in my opinion.

The ride in the 07 ST's are much nicer then the 01's and your better off with an aftermarket sound system anyway. The biggest plus though is all the support you will get from this site.

I own both a 2001 Sport Trac and a 2002 Frontier Crew Cab S/C.

Interesting...I had a website link a few years back that compared the Sport Trac to the Frontier, Dakota, and S10. The Sport Trac was the second fastest truck, next to the V8 Dakota. The slowest of the bunch? The Frontier. According to that article, the Sport Trac also had the best brakes and it handled the best. The Frontier, even though it was supercharged, was too underpowered.

Tom

Thanks everyone for the replies. Here's another question for ya...how tough are the motors? I've got 290,000 on my '98 Jimmy and would love to look forward to the same on a ST. Never had major motorwork just a coupla water pumps and a head gasket. We'll be out test drivin' later this week. Thanks again, Tim

Tim, ya hafta go with what suits your needs, not what we think here. The main reason I bought my Trac was for the interior space coupled with a short pickup bed. I do more people hauling than I do cargo hauling. The Trac is my daily driver. I wanted a small pickup for occasional use but also needed a sedan size interior for family trips. In early 2004, the Trac was the only vehicle that I knew about that would meet my all of my needs while not being too big. I'm guessing that others might have been available; F150 S'Crew is too big, so is Avalanche. Don't know if Nissan or Toyota had competing models then.

When I sat in a frontier before buying my ST it only took 2 secs to decide not to get the frontier. It sat like a sports car my knees were up way past the steering wheel it just plain wasn't comfortable (at least for me 6'4")

Test them both out and decide for yourself, I would have liked the bigger bed, but I don't think I would have like the smaller cabin so its a hard decision.

I just got my 07 ST last week and have not driven it alot yet. The first 2 things I noticed was how quiet it is and how smooth the ride. I am very pleased with my choice. This is my first ST and I will bet, not my last. Good luck.

comparing the 07 v8 to prior year STs for ride, handling, power, acceleration, etc. cannot be done. the 07 is a big jump compared to former years (another generation, really) in those attributes. I had an 03 ST and now have the 07 v8 (both were 4x4) and even my parents were impressed when I let them drive it for a week when they visited. My dad could not get over the agility and turning radius of the 07, in the 03 the turning radius SUCKED.

ride em' both and make a decision. people who really like the frontier will tell you to buy it. people who really like the ST will tell you to buy it. objectively, if that is possible, the ST is a better choice. The frontier is another truck. The ST is its own phenomenon.

Latest posts