Should I purchase

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mo P

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a sport trac, not looking to spend a whole lot, I have found a few decent deals but I am not sure if I should move on it, I would like to know if it is a good decision to purchase a 2003 xlt, with 109k mile for $8k. is this a good idea with high miiles. am I going to be able to get alot of life out of this vehicle.

thanks for any help...

Chances are high you will have to put another $2K to $3K into the vehicle in repairs over the next 50K to 100K miles....and the repairs including transmission work could hit you sooner than later.

That's a lot of miles for an ST. I know others will chime in and say how their ST has near or over 200K miles and only had routine maintenance. But from my time on this site, for every one of them there are two owners that will tell you about the costly repairs starting once the ST went off-warranty (above 36K miles).

See if you can get detailed maint records and post them back here for review. If major work has already been done you might be getting a good deal.

TJR

Thanks. for your response.

From my understanding there has been no major repairs, just general maint, however, tune up at 100k has not been done, is this a problem?

thanks for help...

Tune-up at 100k is no big deal. Do the plugs, plug wires, all the fluids and filters (oil, coolant, tranny, axles, brake, transfer case) and motor on. On Fords and most every other late-model vehicle, the automatic transmission is the weak spot and after 100k you're on borrowed time.

If the owner has taken perfect care of it (changed fluids on time and such) then you probably are good for another 100k. Mileage means little compared to how the vehicle was cared for. Probably the bigest worry would be the tranny, as TJR pointed out. I would have it checked out first.

I would do a check on the vehicle to see how many owners it has had and how many miles they have put on it.If it has that many miles from one to two owners. It has alot of highway miles on it.That is usually a good thing.Highway miles are less stressful then stop and go traffic.Lets say like on mine.80 to 90 thousand miles were put on quick on the highway and then the rest was driving to and from work over the next year or two.Then that is good, in my book.A history and test drive will tell alot.After you test drive come back and describe what it did._Ron

I agree with Blackhat. Take it for a drive and come back here and let us know the little (or big) ticks that you noticed and we can tell you if it is a big or no big deal.

I have a 2003 that I'm the 1st owner and it has 63kmiles on it. I've kept up on the maint. and have only had small (fixable by me) problems. (knock on wood.);)

Buy it then call ford and get the xtra warrenty on it my truck is covered for 5 yrs 100,000 miles for the low price of 2200.00 mine has 150K now and will be covered til 250K!!

Buy it then call ford and get the xtra warrenty on it my truck is covered for 5 yrs 100,000 miles for the low price of 2200.00 mine has 150K now and will be covered til 250K!!

I thought Ford's extended warranties included the 3/36? Thus, if you purchase the 5 year, 100K extended, the warranty dies when your odometer hits 100K or five years pass?

From whom did you buy this warranty, joey, and when?

It's probably cheaper to put the $2200 away in a bank account to cover any problems rather than buy a warranty. That way it's there if you need it, and it's there if you don't. After all, the warranty guys wouldn't offer it for that price unless they figured they wouldn't have to pay out that much.