ST problems adding up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Stocker

Reaction score
As much as I love my Sport Trac I am starting to hate it too. I have had it for a year now and the problems are starting, I have a leaking front diff, a vibration on acceleration in the rear and now the transmission is starting the 2-3 flare when it is cold. I have used the trac to it's fullest offroading and hauling my boat, and I think it is begining to cost me. My question to everone is what should be a priority fix, what can wait (if anything), and what is everything going to cost me? I am now towing a larger boat than before, it is right at the capacity maybe even a little over. I have a 2001 4x4 4.10LS lifted with 265s and coil over shocks in the back, I also have the Apten switchable chip. I had the rear fluid changed last week, the vibration has calmed down some but I realy feel it towing. Thanks for all the help, this board is an awsome source of information. -tom

ps I'm in the orlando area if anyone can recomend a good mechanic.

Don't run out of lubricant in the differential. Oil is cheap compared to gears.

Have the EPC adjustment done to the tranny as it seems to help from what all I have read about it from others here at the site.

Vibration on acceleration is an indication of a bearing if your are sure it is out of the rear end. As a general rule bearings are cheap. The labor can get to you sometimes but you need to figure out the cause first. (Normally a pinion bearing, not an axle bearing). Axle bearings will normally vibrate all the time and change with speed.

I have a 2001.

I think there was a TSB for some extra front diff fluid looking like it was leaking around the driveshaft yoke, and that wiping it clean was all that was needed.

Vibrations, I usually balance the tires and all is well.

2-3 flair? Only happens when I'm light on the gas pedal. If I drive a bit more "spirited" no problem.

However, when in doubt, have it professionally checked. Cheaper to repair than blow parts.

I had to have my whole front differential re-sealed, ran me $400. Tom says you can do it yourself for waay less, but I don't have the space or time to tackle that on my own.

As for balancing, I seem to need to have it done at least every 6 months. Lot of potholes around here, and I'm sure the fools at the carwash knock the weights off with their tire brushes. Feels awful when the wheels are out of balance, and just keeps getting worse gradually. Seems like worse symptoms than it really is.

scubatom,

You did not state how many miles you had on your Sport Trac, but a 2001 is probably on or about 6 years old, and has been used for heavy towing and you even admit that you have exceded the recommended towing limit. That requires more dilligent maintenance, is harder on the drive train and you should expect to have problems.

...Rich

The vibration in the rear is something in the diff, when I had the fluid changed it quieted down, but didn't get rid of it. I was thinking of adding more friction modifyer to it. I guess I will plan on doing to EPC mod on the tranny this weekend. I now have about 60000 miles on it. Has anyone re-geared their truck, I was thinking of going to lower gear (4.30-4.50s or so) for better pulling, I know it will hurt on highway miles.

Caymen- the coil-overs are made by Gabriel, I love them, I have the load carriers in the back and the maxcontols in the front. It rides great.

Thanks for everyone's input. -tom

Latest posts