Trac moves w/ E-brake engaged

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Out of ignorance I've driven to the end of my block without disengaging the emergency brake on more than a couple of occassions. Now the e-brake doesn't seem to provide any resitance (when in neutral or applying some gas). I probably wore out something but now that I think about it, the e-brake never did provide that much reistance to begin with. The first time I realized I had forgotten to disengage it the Trac did seem a little 'heavier' but the other few occassions I didn't notice any resistance. Thank goodness for the brake indicator.

Anyway, is the Trac not supposed to move at all when the e-brake is applied? What am I looking at as far as a DIY fix? Thanks.

P.S. Happy Father's Day to whom it applies.

you could have worn something down. i dont know. but my experience(even though i have little) has been that every car can move when the parking brake is on if you give it gas.

All you need to do is adjust the E-Brake cable! If that does not work, adjust your rear brakes.

...Rich

You have a 2004 Trac. That is good news. Climb under your Trac and remove the two acess plugs on the backing plate on your parking brake. With a flashlite, you will locate some teeth on an adjuster. (I would say the name of it, but I can spell it, so because I try to make my posts understandable and request someone else do the same, I get "graded" on my spelling, so I won't say the name.) you would move the teeth up. Use a screwdriver.

Again, too bad you live so far awy. I would adjust them for you.

Click it 5 times per side and see if it holds. Keep doing the same thing till they start to hold. Make sure you don't overtighten them though.

Tom

Tom,

I think it's called a "starwheel adjuster" for the rear parking brakes. I'm not aware of another name for it or a name that was hard to spell....and I know I can't spell very well either. :p

...Rich

Back when drum brakes were all the rage, I thought if you put the vehicle in reverse and used the brakes it automatically adjusted the star adjuster for you.

Back when drum brakes were all the rage, I thought if you put the vehicle in reverse and used the brakes it automatically adjusted the star adjuster for you.

That was true. The 2003 Tracs have rear disk brakes with a small drum in the hat of the rotor for a parking brake. Going in reverse won't adjust anything.

RichardL, Dad called it the Ecentric (or something like that) to adjust the drums.

Maybe our "Spelling Bee" champions will be able to spell it correctly. Maybe they can go out of thier way to help someone instead of causing trouble.

Tom

I searched the entire length of my parking brake cable from the pedal to the brakes and could not find an adjuster anywhere.

That is because you don't adjust your cable. You adjust the brake itself as I said above.

Tom

Gavin,

My bad. I said to adjust the cable, thinking of my 2001 Sport Trac with drum brakes on the rear. 2003 and later models use rear disc brakes with a small built-in drum brake for the emergency brake.

...Rich

Gavin,

No, parking brakes are not self adjusting. On a normal drum brake system, the rear brakes are self adjusting when you apply the brakes wile backing up. Some adjust the brakes when you apply the parking brake, so to some extent the parking brake is self-adjusting. That does not apply to rear disc brake systems that use the parking brake drum system like the Sport Tracs.

...Rich

That is a good question. I have a 2002, but I threw the drums in the trash can. Maybe Ape, Q, or Chops will help you. They seem to have the answers to everything else.

Tom

Latest posts