V8 gas mileage / CAYMEN

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracn Black

Reaction score
Caymen,

When did my wheels, I did not change the tires, oly the wheels..

The only modififcation I did to the ST so far was to put a flowmaster exhaust.

:(

Chris, Try driving as though you have a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Don't race to the next stop light/sign. Drive like the old men that always seem to be in your way. See what your mileage is after two tanks of driving that way.

Driven at it's hardest I get 16.6 mpg with my 2wd. You should be getting better. Did you check the milage before you switched out the exhaust?

Maybe you need a tune to compensate for the different exhaust back pressure?

Speed is not the mpg killer. Acceleration rate is. If you accelerate fast and then brake hard while driving in town, you will burn lots of gas and wear out your brakes faster. Keep the rpm below 2500 ALL THE TIME. Look a block or two ahead and coast to the next stop. The biggest factor in poor mpg in a properly tuned vehicle is the driver. In my Trac, my wife's driving style is good for about 2 - 3 mpg less than my driving style. I've documented it. She does just what I am telling you not to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris,

As I said, larger wheels weight more then smaller wheels do. Also, many aftermarket "bling bling" wheels weigh twice as much as OE wheels do. All I am simply doing is making a statement that sometimes our low gas mileage is not caused by the auto manufacturer but the owner that puts shiney crome wheels and pimp daddy spinners on it.

Tom

9mpg, something is wrong. How are you measuring your MPG?

I was driving next to someone on the highway last night and they were constantly on and off the throttle to maintain a reasonably constant speed (~70). I can't imagine how poor their mileage is as a result.

OK When I take the wheels to discount tire today, I will weigh the stock wheel & the aftermaket wheel.

I'm also "bitting the bullet" and having the sensors put back on.... I don't want to be accused of doing things halve a$$.

P.S. the wheels are the same size as the stock ones & I used the stock tires on the new rims.... could it possably be the exhaust????

Free flowing exhausts do not hur gas mileage and in some cases, they actually help it.

If you would prefer me to not try to help you, let me know. I am not getting paid to do this so I don't have to help in the first place.

Tom

Chris, if you drive the way I said and only get 9 - 10 mpg, then something is wrong with your truck. It is dumping all that extra fuel someplace and that is not good, especially in CA where the pollution is at a ctrical level already. One trip around the block and you've polluted as much as 15 lawnmowers and 25 BBQ grills all going at the same time. If the pollution police catch you, you'll be in BIG trouble.

I'm just explaining the whole situation to you. So you can have a clear pitcher of what my problem is.

Yes, I want advise and help from you, but it seems that you are a little critical sometimes.

anyways, Thank you for you imput

out:)

Those wheels are pretty standard 18" wheels. They may weigh a bit more, or less, but that is not going to affect your mileage that much either way. Especially since you are still using the stock Michelin Cross Terrains which are a very light tire. Different tires of the same size and style can differ as much as 10-15lbs each. I would look more to dragging brakes, computer messed up, some vacuum line obstructed, etc. Also, make sure it is measuring miles accurately. Use the mile markers on the hwy and set the cruise at exactly 60mph. It should take one minute to pass each marker and the odometer should click off one mile in that time.

Last edited by a moderator: