WOOD SPLITTER

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cant say ive used that one but you have alot of logs to split i recomend renting one of

those hydralic log splitters. wow man took my friend and i 1/4 of the time to do his wood for the winter this year.

paul h:D

Looking at it I can't say it would be as efficient as renting a log splitter. Look at the wood they are splitting in the picture. It is perfect--no branches, it is dry, and straight grained. Not sure it would work with most types of wood.

Home Depot/Lowes sometimes have them available for rental.

When I was younger my stepbrother and I were the log splitters in our home. Once we grew up and moved out, my step dad went and bought a log splitter. Figures...

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, it would depend on how much wood you plan to split and how often you plan to do it.

It might work great, but loading your truck with dirt using a spoon is easy too, but alot of work for a little result.

Tom

How much are you splitting? How often? If you do it every year to heat your house it's probably time to buy a real one. If you're only doing it from time to time for a camp fire buy a splitting maul, or a wedge and a sledge.

I used to split winter firewood by hand, a few cords a year. I used to be in shape too. :)

It works, but the effort is the same and takes longer to get the job done. Stick with a nice sharp axe or get a hydraulic or electric log splitter :p

My folks have a hydraulic splitter. If you intend on splitting logs of that size, I'd advise you to go with an electric screw or hydraulic unit. I have seen my father use an axe, which is essentially what that tool is, and take forever to split a single 1.5-2 foot diameter log. I have also seen he and my mother use the hydraulic unit and easily fill a 5x8 trailer in an afternoon. I suppose it all depends on how much of what size log you want to break apart. And yes, I helped, too. I am not an ungrateful son. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one on my farm tractor and thought it was a life saver. My Son in law and I split enough wood to last all winter in two days. Lots of work, but much easer than hand splitting. When I sold the farm one of the things listed on the offer was leaving the tractor and splitter.

thanks guys for all the input.

we are getting ready to move into my wifes decease papaws house which is very old and our only source of heat will be wood. there was quite a bit of wood left but i started cutting more today and was just looking for an easy way to split it. Guess i will just have to cut smaller trees:D

The one in the link looks like a lot of work. My ex-wife's dad built his own using a lawnmower engine hooked up to an old power steering pump to power the ram, but he was cheap and could weld.

Splitting wood is hard work and that splitter does not look like it's any easier than using a splitting maul and or wedge. If you are serious about splitting wood, rent or buy a hydraulic log splitter, it doesn't get any easier or faster than that.

If you want to split wood for exercise, than a good splitting maul will give you the workout you are looking for.

...Rich

Latest posts