cold weather

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben grant

Reaction score
I just got a sport trac 3mth ago ilove it. But i have notecd that hen it is cold it takes a long time to get oil pressure up. Only the first time you start it in the morning. Its geting cold here now it just started do it. any help on this would b great thanks

How cold is it there? The colder it is the thicker your oil is so it will take a little longer but should still get oil preassure fairly quikly.

Oh Canada, Saw your profile. You might want to look into an oil heater or something like that to keep your oil and block warm for easy startup. You could try synthetic oil first to see if that helps, it is more temerature tolerant.

The past few weeks it's been pretty cold in the mornings, between 25 and 35 degrees, this past week. I also park on about a 50 degree slope, which I don't know if it has anything to do with or not. Anyway, when I start up the truck on these cold mornings, the oil pressure needle doesn't move at all immediately. The check gage light is even on when this happens. Once I get on level land and the engine warms up a few minutes later, the needle jumps to the middle of the gauge where it should be. Just letting you know that you're not the only one, but can't be of much help.

Ben, the pressure is not the problem, it is your oil pressure sensor that is shot. It was a common problem on the 01's. I have owned an 01 and an 03 and live in Alberta, even in the -35 weather the pressure would come up instantly.

This was recently discussed here.

STCTC, same goes for you, you have an 01, get a new oil pressure switch/sensor.

man am i glad to hear that I am not the only one who had this problem....when it first happened i was freaking out that this was actually no pressure...but the motor was not knocking or anything so soon figured out that i had oil and the way it jumped all of a sudden told me it was electrical....as usual some damn sensor. What did we ever do before all these friggin sensors lol well anyway i know one sport trac that is going to have a new sensor before it gets much more colder.This site is awesome...they should have one for every type of vehicle!!

The replacement Ford will sell you is updated for the exact reason you are having...

Replace it and you will be good to go.

Latest posts