For Those Who Don't Like Censorship

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new regulations being proposed and passed down in the government means that Ford won't be able to use successful models from the European and Australian markets as easily.

As if they ever used vehicles from overseas in the past.

Tom

The Focus was/sorta still is. Designed for Europeans for European people in European cities...and it was a hit in American as well as Europe. Now the new Focus has a bit more separation between European- and American-spec. If I remember correctly, they only get hatches, both 3- and 5-door varieties. They also get juiced up versions, the ST comes to mind. When the new Focus was launched, there was an ST package for the sedan, little more then stripes and a body kit. Didn't get the hot turbocharged inline 4, 6-speed, or sport interior.

Tiger, You hit the nail on the head when you said:

Ford really needs to look at their dealers, the dealers are the public face of an automotive company, and it seems that face would spit on you then help you.

But, part of the equasion is building a better public image, and more consistant quality product. It just ocurred to me that you don't see Toyota building assembly plants outside the USA (like Mexico or where ever) and then importing here; No they build the assembly plant here.

Toyota builds many of their models only in Japan. It is only the very popular models like the Camry and Corolla that are built in the US. Toyota also does this in other countries. Almost all Corollas sold in Turkey are built in Turkey by Toyota S.A. (a licensee owned by the Sabanci family -- they own a huge number of companies in Turkey)

Localization makes sense. Build the car where the car will be sold, shows people you care. Use local suppliers and local materials. Provide an economy for a city.

Honda started this trend in 1981 (?) by building the Accord in America. Now you can buy US built BMWs, Nissans, Toyotas, Hyundais, Mercedes-Benz, all I can think of right now.

The Focus is a vast departure from what made it a hot commodity in the US, thanks to separate evolutions of the US and Euro/Aussie models. They did a good thing with the SVTF, showing that the car is capable of being a solid competitor in not only the econo market, but in the sports car market. Then Ford US went green (not with envy, that's for sure) and ditched any plans for the Euro Mark II's to be in the US market and just added some splash to what was already here (can't hurt a good thing, right?). The one thing that was solid between all the markets was the popularity of the Focus, and they trashed that (can't infringe on the Mustang market in the US!!!). There are a lot of folks who would jump at the chance to get an ST220 AWD 2.5L 5-cyl turbo'd Focus.

Either R's data is flat out bad, or he failed debate because he sucks at it :p

You posted a "Super Duty" article, and tried to imply that it was about the SportTrac. When asked about it, you got defensive and started name-calling like a six-year-old. That is deception, plain and simple.

I saw a video at my Ford dealer called "The Truth About Trucks", or somesuch. It showcased the F-150 and how in Ford's OPINION it was tougher and better built then the competition it compared itself against.

I suspect much of the same "research" and "marketing" went into the article on Ford's site that R mentioned.

What I don't understand is what that directly has to do with the ST, or why R would seem to get bent out of shape if asked "So what does this have to do with the ST?"

Yes, people could be less like aholes on this site sometimes (me included), but it takes TWO to escalate things, and in this case, I think I see who escalated things for apparently no reason.

TJR

Q,

You are already doing a good job at it. There is no need for me to step in.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I leave my computer for a few hours and one seemingly innocuous thread turns into two pissing matches. I have an idea. Lets all drop it and move on to something more useful (and dare I say, more productive)? Thanks.:wacko::wacko:

Latest posts