Great deal on a GPS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Loo

Reaction score
Here's a killer deal on a very nice GPS I ordered on 24 Dec and with free Pri overnight shipping, will be here on 26 Dec:

It normally sells for $300.

It says the street names you're supposed to turn on and has the capability to receive real time traffic updates so it can warn you if there's a traffic jam ahead and how to get around it. That last feature costs extra, but it's nice to have the capability. With most GPS's you have to buy a seperate antenna, plus the extra fee to receive the traffic info. Those two can cost over $250 combined.

I just bought one......

They offered 15% more off at check out... :)

Todd Z

Me too......also got the 15% off :D

Thanks Bo for the link & Tip

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet. I got one too, got the 15% off and threw in the 2yr replacement warranty as well.

Also, note that shipping is currently free as well, and the GPS comes with 3 months free real-time traffic update service.

All-in-all, after tax and extended warranty, I paid just under $112.

Ditto on the thanks bo!

Dang! I alert you guys to a good deal and you get better deals than I did!

Make sure you upgrade the firmware to 3.02. Here's my experience with this GPS so far:

1. POI's need a major update. They appear to be at least 4 years old. I live in the 32907 zip code area and the closest Home Depot it found was 23 miles away, even though there are 2 long standing locations within a 10 mile radius.

Also it listed Conchy Joes as a nearby pub, but that went out of business years ago.

I could list several other examples I've discovered in only two days of ownership. There's no way to add to the POI database or import a newer version unless Sony releases an updated file.

The maps seem to be up to date, but, it listed businesses based on physical distance, not driving distance. I live along a river and it listed many businesses as 1 and 2 miles away, but they were 15 mile drives once you consider the bridges that would be covered.

2. It needs more robust street name identifiication when entering addresses. Example, I searched for a local street, Pepsi-Cola Drive, but if the dash is omitted between Pepsi and Cola, the location is not found. If I only entered Pepsi, it suggested Pepsi-Cola Drive.

Also, I tried to search for the intersection of US 192 and A1A in Indialantic, FL. I could not get it to find US 192. I tried searching for US 192, highway 192, SR 192, just 192, hwy 192, etc. Never found it.

So, then I tried searching for A1A. It did offer A1A Scenic and Historic Coastal, which was a good start, now to select the town of Indialantic...as soon as I enter the "I" of Indialantic, it comes back Not Found. The intersection of 192 and A1A is "downtown" Indialantic.

If it wasn't for the ability to search by town or via map scrolling, it would be very difficult to find that location and, I have to assume others.

I've learned not to search on specific data...example: I looked for a place called Malabar Mo's. It didn't find it, but once I searched for Malabar, it found all the businesses with Malabar in the name including the mis-named Malabars (that was what Malabar Mo's was listed as).

The mounting suction cup is probably the best on the market. It will attach to just about any surface. I've mounted mine down by the ash-try that I don't use.

I am impressed with tech support, though. I called tech support before buying to inquire about the price of Lifetime traffic, and was impressed that the techs actually spoke English and didn't read from scripts. BTW, lifetime traffic will cost you 119.95 or 49.95 a year.

I haven't had the opportunity to use the auto reroute with the traffic service yet, but was able to see where there were traffic incidents (but they weren't on my route).

It appears that Sony is constantly working on firmware/software updgrades. I saw on a Sony electronics blog that they're working on a map update for a Spring 2009 release. The link is included below.

Bo -

I've been reading about the firmware updates for this unit. Apparently Firmware 3.0 got it right, but you shouldn't go from 1.0, if that's what you have on it, to 3.0 (it will possibly corrupt the maps). You have to get in touch with Sony and have them send you a disk for 2.0 and 3.0, and possibly even 3.02 (the latest version).

It's a bit of work for the consumer, but apparently, when you get it up to speed with the latest firmware, it's well worth the effort.

Thanks for all the info. I just downloaded the firmware update 3.02 incase it arrives w/o it.

DesertFox, again, just be careful depending on the firmware it comes with. From some of the forums I've read that a large jump in updates tends to corrupt the maps. However, since it's under warranty, I guess it doesn't matter.... :D

btw...at the bottom of the page linked below, you can order the 1.0 to 2.0 update (if needed when the unit arrives). They will send it free of charge after you enter your address.

It also has a link to the 3.02 update as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx....I did look up on how to check what ver. is installed on the unit. Hopefully since these are referb'd, they'd update everything before they ship them out. But, there's always the chance they didn't. :rolleyes:

Went to buy another one for my grandparents and oops....sold out.

Glad I got mine! :banana:

Jenn......has yours shipped yet? I checked the status of mine and they are still showing processing :(

Nope, and I'm a little nervous about that too to be honest. I'm expecting to get the "sorry, we ran out e-mail" but I'm still hopeful because I have received the order confirmation and order number.

Same here....I got the order conf. and order number too. On mine it showed they expected shipment to be on 12/29/08, but since that time has come and gone, I'm a bit nervous that I will get a "We're Sorry" email from them since the site shows they are sold out.

We will see.....

I also saw at Radio Shack they are running Magellan ( SP) buy 1 get 1 free.... They have 1 for $199 and 1 for $249.. But neither one has text to speek... But they had all the other options..

Todd Z

I just called their support line......was on hold for about 20 min. The girl that took my call said she had to look into the order and would email me within 24 hours.

I told her on the site it shows they are out of stock, but I placed my order two days before and was given an order number, etc.

If in fact they are out of stock, would be nice if they gave us the next unit which is more expensive for the same price. :)

Thanks for the update. Yeah, an upgrade would be nice. The next unit up from it, brand new is only a little over $50 more right now. We'll see how much they want to get rid of before year's end.

Keep us posted on what you hear back from them.

I just called.....

They told me there is an issue with the website communicating to the order department...

They gave me $20.00 more off and said they will contact me via email with more info as they put in a trouble ticket for more info regarding my order...

Todd Z

I just called and sat on hold for 15 minutes waiting. Don't feel like wasting cell phone minutes on that, so now I'm in line to chat with someone online. We'll see how that turns out. As was mentioned earlier, maybe they'll just give a the newer one for that price instead...

Latest posts