Has anyone tried this Sylvania headlight restoration kit?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the 3M system - it involves using different compunds with a cordless drill to do the polishing anf finished it off with Blue Magic Headlight Lens Sealer.

This was done on our 2000 Lexus GS400 and the results were very good. It is a product I could recomend. I thought the haze was inside the lens cover - it wasn't!

Good luck on whatever you try!

:supercool:

Greg Smith

I also use a 3M system at work but you actually have to sand the lenses to get the layer of oxidized material off and then clean and polish them, IMO this is the only solution to the problem adn the headlights look absolutely brand new. If you don't get rid of the oxidized material any thing you do is going to be a short term solution.

I did a lot of research before I bought a restoration kit and I finally decided to use the one in the link I provided.

You can pick these kits up from Walmart as well. It's been three years since I used it on an '03 Elantra but the headlights still look great. The kit includes a sealant that hardens and resurfaces the headlight better than the other products I looked into.

Take your time and watch the instructional video before you use it and I promise that it will not dissapoint.

Scott

I have a funny story.

I used the Turtle Wax kit this winter. Halfway through applying the clear solution (wearing gloves) my glove tears and i get some on my left hand. It immediately begins to turn red and hurt.

By the time I get inside, the redness and itching has traveled up my arm, to my chest and face. I jump in the shower and wash up and by then I have hives almost all over my torso and arm and down my backside. No problems breathing thankfully!

It clears up in an hour or two. Now I have never had hives or a bad allergic reaction to anything like this before. Imagine my surprise when it happens again the next day, and the next, and the next.

No Common triggers. We analyzed everything I ate, touched, and wore, nothing new. Turns out that I had developed Hives due to the cold weather, called Cold urticaria. Every time my core temp dropped and my skin came in to contact with cold air, I would get hives immediately. Warming up caused them to go away.

Most likely, the allergic reaction to the headlight solution triggered an immune system problem which triggered the Cold urticaria to develop. It lasted most of the winter, getting less and less severe. Luckily, it hasn't happened at all during the summer (even when swimming in the cold ocean water). So I'm hoping the worst of it is behind me.

TL;DR- headlight restoration solution gave me hives all winter long.

I've tried the Sylvania headlight restoration kit and was blown away by the result. Headlights looks brand new. And it comes with a life time warranty. Just make sure you register on line when finish for the life time warranty.

If you search online you will see a number of demos of the various headlight restoration kits. There is even on guy who polishes his headlights with toothpaste and gets nearly the same results as you see with those expensive kits. The only drawback is that you still need to add some kind of protective coating on the lenses or they will haze up again very quickly....but there are numerous suggestions on other products that will work.

If you also check around the web, you can find complete new headlight assemblies that are not much more expensive than some of those headlight restoration kits.

I bought two new headlights assemblies for my Toyota Highlander after one got cracked in a minor fender-bender. The Auto body shop wanted $160+ for the one headlight which would have required me to polish the other light or it would look goofy. So I found two new headlights for $85 (with free shipping) on the web, got them in about a week and had the body shop install both rather than pay for a restoration kit for one headlight. Replacing the headlights requires loosening or removing the front bumper cover, and they were replacing it anyway, so I think I got a bigger bang for my buck by just replacing both old headlights rather than spend $50+ for a polishing kit. The Toyota looks brand new with two perfectly clear showroom new headlights...:banana:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts