nitrofill

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Morrow

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else fills their tires up with nitrogen. I decided to use it and was wondering what other people thought of nitrogen in their tires?

Waste of money.

I have a tornadoe throttle spacer I will sell to you, that will get you over 30 mpg and over 400hp from Sport Trac:lol::cool:

I save a few bucks and get very good performance by filling my tires with a mixture that is 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

Tires loose air through the mermeable rubber sidewalls at a rate of about 1-3 PSI per month. Nitrogen will reduce that pressure loss to 1-3 PSI every 3-4 months. Is it worth the extra cost? Probably not for most street driven vehicles. Nitrogen does not guarantee that you don't have a tire with a slow leak, so you still have to check your tire pressures regularly. Correcting the pressure is not much additional work than checking the pressure, but would be less convenient if you had to use nitrogen vs compressed air.

...Rich

Most aircraft use nitrogen in there landing gear tires. which don't loose psi nearly as fast, expand or contract with temp.(1 psi + or - .5 psi every 10 degrees) and it dont expand or contract with gain or loss in elevation. so yes i do use nitrogen in my tires, but i dont pay for it i just use the stuff at work.

I run nitrogen. I love never having to always add air to the tires. I have my own tank.

I can fill about 8 SUV (trac sized tires) or 16 passenger car tires for about $9.00.

I am happy with it.

Advantages?

Nitrogen is dry air. There is no oxygen inside of the tire so it prevents the oxygen from oxidizing the rubber on the inner side of the tire.

Is it a major concern? Not really, but my life is pretty important to me. My wifes life is even more important than mine is...to me.

Tom

I've never had to replace a tire on any of my vehicles because the rubber on the inner side oxidized. (anyone else have to?) If indeed nitrogen does slow pressure loss, then I can see it for those who have poor access to compressed air. I have a small air compressor, so nitrogen filled tires would be a waste money in my case.

An interesting side note - I have two vehicles, both have Goodyear tires. My Sport Trac looses about 2-3 pounds in each tire each month, the other (Jeep Liberty) rarely requires any air. :huh:

If tires normally lost 2 to 3 lbs of pressure each month wouldn't it they be flat within a year if air was never added?

Since I know many if not most people run their cars without ever checking their tires or adding air for years at a time (especially those that run all-weather radials), I'm not buying this statistic.

TJR

I would run it, But it is hard to find here locally..... Wish it was closer, I would do it..

Todd Z

It is probably better, but in my opinion not worth the extra effort. If I had Nitrogen in the garage along side my regular compressor I'd choose the nitrogen.

I run it in my tires. The shop where I bought the tires offers it for free with a new tire purchase, along with free top-off service whenever I need it.

I had it on my ST when it was new - from the dealer.

Pro: The air (Nitro) stayed in the tire much longer than normal

Con: can't find it anywhere (other then the dealer) when a refill is needed.

I ended up putting regular, mother nature made air.

I just use regular air and check my tires every 2 weeks. I have a small air compressor to add air if needed. I don't see the 1-3 psig drop every month- most of the time if I have to add air or release it, it is because of ambient temperature changes. If I have a tire losing more air than the others, I get it fixed pronto.

I figure nitrogen is good for the masses that never check their tire pressure. Since I check mine regularly (as well as the fluids), I don't see any advantages for me.

I'm thinking about putting helium in my tires to lighten the ST. Maybe I'll get better MPG. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about putting helium in my tires to lighten the ST. Maybe I'll get better MPG.:rolleyes:

I know you are making a joke, but do you know how long helium will last in a tire?

Tom

Latest posts