nitrofill

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run nitrogen....

and you can add regular air to ur nitrogen filled tires if u have to inflat...

(says the guy that filled my tires)

anyway..... i like not having to constantly check pressure

Not worth it if you have to pay even a penny for it. It is used in aircrafts because it can be compressed to higher pressures than air because of the low vapor content.

TJR,

it is a fact that most tires loose 1-3 PSI per month. That's why tires loose air just sitting there. The higher the pressure used in the tire the more apt the air is to be forced out of the tire through the permeable sidewalls.

The reason that the tire rarely goes completely flat is because once the pressure gets so low (probably about 10-15 PSI, there is not enough pressure to push out the remaining air. Also, what has leaked out are the oxygen and CO2. The larger nitrogen molecules are too large to pass through the rubber. Yes, Probably >90% of the cars on the road today are running with one or more tires below the recommended air pressure.

I think we have already gone through all the scientific theory and proved that Nitrogen expands at the same rate as any other gas at the same temperature, and altitude, so those are not valid reasons to use nitrogen in the tires of a street driven vehicle.

The last remaining reason is valid, in that by using nitrogen there is no oxidation of the rubber or moisture inside of the tire. While this is a good feature, is it that benificial when the outside of the tire is exposed to oxygen, UV rays, water, grease and oil.

This is only benificial to the airlines and racing teams who have these expensive tires retreaded and rebuilt as long as the carcass is still good. The average street driven vehicle will replace the tires every 3-5 years because they are worn out.

I don't see any harm in using nitrogen if you have a lot of vehicles/tires and you can buy the nitrogen in bulk like Caymen. Otherwise it's a waste of money on a street driven vehicle except for a few exceptions like RV's that sit a long time or other antique/vintage vehicles that sit for long periods of time or have special rare tires.

If your dealer filled your tires with nitrogen, it's only because they are hoping you will return to them to have your tire pressures checked since they know that nitrogen is not readily available at your local gas station. They can charge you for filling up your tires and they can try to sell you more services...needed or not. ;)

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,

You said you have a tank of nitrogen. Where did you obtain it? I have nitrogen in my vehicles mainly because Costco puts it in on all new tires that install. Problem is not knowing where else to get more if you need it. How big of tank do you have and how often do you have to get it filled?

Thanks.

I know you are making a joke, but do you know how long helium will last in a tire?

Not in a tire, but a day or so in a balloon. Small helium molecules easily make their way through the porosity of the rubber.

Wonder how Nitrogen Oxide would work? That way, after a bad day at work I could get a few huffs for the ride home and be in a better mood...

Officer " Excuse me why are you filling that balloon with the air in your tire"

Gavin " ummm........ pssssttt.....huff...cough.... DEEP VOICE.... I ran out of paper bags to calm me down"..

LOL:lol::lol:

Todd Z

Gavin

you would have to find a source of U.S.P (med grade) NOx.

The stuff the speed shops sell is treated, you cannot get a high from it.

Bill,

You can, but the additive will make you sick...

The Parts shop that I was partners in sold dental grade!!!

Todd Z

RichardL,

I still am not buying it. I'd sooner bet that the 1 to 3 lbs of tire pressure "lost" per month is actually just a change in pressure due to temperature differences.

I lose a few pounds of pressure every winter and then the automatic tire pressure monitors (ATPMs) kick in and tell me I've lost pressure. I top off, then I am good until the next winter.

I think it is the cold air making compacted air within the tires that lowers the pressure, not a loss through the sidewalls. I'm not saying there isn't some loss through sidewalls and along the tire bead. I'm sure there is a minute amount. I just think that when it comes to several pounds of lost pressure over a few months, temperature is the culprit, not air loss.

And, of course, nitrogen is less susceptible to changes in temperature.

So, it's the better temperature qualities of nitrogen that I think are the real benefit. If it were the other way around, my tires would be going soft at various points in the year...not just when it gets really cold.

TJR

TJR,

I just updated my previous post, but the loss of air pressure has nothing to do with the expansion or contraction due to temperature changes, as I once thought it was too. FACT: Nitrogen expands and contracts the same as compressed air does at the same temperatures. The reason nitrogen is used is because the molecules are larger and do not pass through the permeable walls of the tire as easily. In fact most of the air we breath is nitrogen and only about 21% is oxygen with some CO2 thrown in. Yes, a tire can have a little lower pressure when it's cold, but will go back to normal when it warms up, but that is not a loss of air that's expansion and contraction, and why you should only check tire pressures when they are cold.

That is also why the tires rarely go completely flat. The oxygen and CO2 molecules are smaller and pass through the walls of the tire more easily and that lowers the tire pressure. When the tire gets down to nearly all nitrogen, the rate of pressure loss slows down.

You don't have to believe me. Just do a Google on "Nitrogen filled tires" and you will see that I am telling you facts. And you don't have to even go to the sites where they are trying to sell Nitrogen tire filling systems, etc.

...Rich

Richard L,

I can Google a lot of stuff that doesn't make it so! <grin> I can Google credible websites that say the Earth is 6000 years old, and others that say it is 100s of millions of years old.

My main point was that if there truly was tire air loss throughout the year, at the rate of 1 to 3 lbs per month then why do my cars that have ATPM systems ONLY record low pressure when extremely cold? Or asked another way, why don't I sometimes see pressure drop due to that constant loss in air reported by the ATPMs during warm periods?

I believe most things I read when they gel with real-world observations. That's why I don't believe that the Earth is only 6000 years old, BTW. This Nitrogen thing, for me, doesn't gel either. For me, my experience is that it's the change in temperate that causes the drop in pressure because that's what I am observing. Is that merely luck/coincidental timing?

P.S. I do believe that Nitrogen-filled tires lose air less than air-filled, and therefore are more maintenance free. I'm simply confused by my observations versus the 1-3lbs/mo loss claim. Not trying to doubt anyone...just ask questions and have a discussion.

TJR

Bill Barber,

You already said that in the "India Support" thread and I read it there. Pot, kettle, black!

I like to talk and use as many words as I think are needed to convey my message as completely and accurately as I see fit. If more people would do that, and read with diligence there would be less misunderstandings (I think).

If you don't want to read my posts then don't.

But please don't be rude.

TJR

TJR,

There is a simple expaination...You are misinterpreting your TPM and only considering the temperature change as the culprit. If it was just expansion and contraction due to temperature changes, then you don't need to add air because the tire pressure will return to normal when the weather warms up. Right?

No, it won't, because it actuall leaked out a little air. For all I care, you can believe little evil gremlins steal the air out of your tires when it gets cold. But that does not change the fact that tires leak air. And when I say 1-3 PSI a month that is based on a used tire that has been driven, flexing and the rubber is starting to show signs of age. Newer tires don't leak as much air because the rubber has not started to age and weaken from the constant flexing and exposure to the elements and UV rays.

...Rich

TJR,

I do loose 2-3 psi in each tire of my ST each month. Not a statistic, just a fact, and I don't really care if you buy it or not. The tires do not go flat because I check and fill them each month (duh!).

.... rmac

TJR

Not being rude, your just a complete, never ending motermouth JMO

that in reality has not any usefull info, other than to talk and expound useless info.

Come-on Guys!

Lets not get too personal with TJR. I like Tom even when we disagree, and he is not obligated to agree with anything others may say.

It's just his opinion, and you know what they say about opinions and AHoles?

Tom.

If you don't believe what you see on Google, they try searching another source like Wikipiea, Ask Jives, etc. But you will get similar answers there.

...Rich

holy crap didn't think this thread would be so popular. I paid 20 bucks for it and I have unlimited free fills on it if i need it. the garage i go to said just go in and tell them i need my tires filled up and theyd do it for the life of the tires. someone else said it too but the mechanic also said i could use compressed air with the nitrogen if i need but said just to swing it by the garage then to change it all out for nitrogen when i get a chance then.

Latest posts