nitrofill

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MTU and TJR,

NO, YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT!! It does not matter how much air you lose or don't lose from your tires. It's only an AVERAGE of all the vehicles on the road. I'm a truely sorry that the guys who did the survey did not come to your door and ask you if they could include your tires in their statistics. I am also sorry that you guys think you are so special that the tires you buy never leak air. I can only say you are in denial.

As for the definition of AVERAGE, yes, it is a Median value which simply means that that there were pressures that were higher and pressures that were lower. The fact that your pressures were lower does not make you special.

TJR, iyiou are going back to your old habits of posting arguments that have nothing to do with the real issue. You just don't believe something, but you find some minor point to argue about that avoids the real issue.

Now we are agruing about how much air the average tire loses in a month. Surveys claim 1-3 PSI. Your experience is less, so you want to argue about that statistic, when the real issue is a proven fact that the Oxygen content of compressed air can, and does permeate through the side walls of the tire, while the larger nitrogen molecules are less prone to leak through the tire. That's the whole issue and the fact that your tires leak less air than the average, does not mean they don't leak.

Also the simple fact that your tires are only low in cold weather does not mean they don't leak. You have never answered my questions as to filling your tires at 30 degrees, why you would need air next year when the temperature dropped to 30 degrees unless the air was leaking out.

It's a simple fact that most people experience some air loss from their tires that is not associated with temperature changes. You can believe it or not.

...Richard

As for the definition of AVERAGE, yes, it is a Median value which simply means that that there were pressures that were higher and pressures that were lower. The fact that your pressures were lower does not make you special.

Richard L, Median value and average value have two totally different meanings.

To make it simple, lets take 4 numbers.

1,25,185, 1739.

The average of these numbers is 487.5.

The Median value is 105.

Average means that you take all the stats, add them together and divide by the number of stats. It does not mean that half the people have better results and the other half have worse results.

The median average means half the people are better and the other half are worse.

Tom

Tom,

I know that, but an average could also mean just that, that half had more and half had less, or a completely different combination of pressures. I was just using that as an example.

The point I was trying to make is that because TJR or MTU did not experience that much air loss in their tires, does not make the statistic wrong. I'm sure that some tires using in compliing that average did not lose any measurable amount of air.

The fact that TJR appears to only check his air pressure when the TMP tells him a tire is low, makes me wonder if he really pays any attention to his tire pressures or even knows how low the pressure has to be to trigger his TPM's??

He also claimed that all of his low pressures occurred when it was cold outside, which is normal since the all gases contract when cooled. But he went on to claim that the temperature was the only reason that tire pressures changed over time. He never addressed my question as to why his tires would be low when it was cold again a year later? The gas expands when it gets warmer and contracts when it gets colder. If no air leaked out the tire would always be at the same pressure when at the same temperature. Yes, The tires pressures will increase when the temperature rises and go down when the temperatures are colder, but if no air escapes they should aways remain at the same pressure for any specific temperature.

TJR cannot prove based on the temperature change, exactly how much his pressure loss was due to temperature fluctuations or if some or the pressure loss was due to air that had escaped. Just because it was cold, does not mean the lower pressure was all related to the colder temperature.

...Rich

Latest posts