The big three are in the tank

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim says about Bill:

"That's with an E Bill not an I "

Has Tim appointed himself the

[Broken External Image]:

(Not that he can spell either.) :p

Last edited by a moderator:
psyc,

you have been removed from my christmas gift list. no toyota key chain for you with that comment :lol:

now get into a real vehicle, the wrx :)

what is with tiny tim. he has a "potty" mouth and seems angry.

when does the "thread lock" get applied?

Chad, Chill

Tim and Frank are most likey related, ever see the movie with Burt Reynolds, Deliverance?

sorry about the spelink Tim, my bad:p

I used to always watch Tiny Tim.....strange dude, but was interesting just the same :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/skU-jBFzXl0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/skU-jBFzXl0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back on topic:

A few years ago Ford set up a group to research building a small, economical, inexpensive, quality car. They concluded that it couldn't be priced low enough to compete with the imports and still make money. That is why they were happy building SUV's and other big cars that they could charge more for and that would absorb the cost of building them.

Ford's average labor cost per UAW represented employee (hourly wage + benefits) in 2006 was 70.51/hour, while Toyota was paying $47.60/hour total (in 2005).

I don't think that the big 3 were unaware of the perils of not having a line of economical, inexpensive cars for the consumer to choose from should gas get scarce or expensive, but could not do it with the wages that they were paying workers.

I am a union member, but that doesn't make me blind to the facts....

It's true, Mookie. The solution isn't quite as simple as "make X type of vehicle". A big problem is that the unions are forcing the hand of the Big Three. They have to chase the cash cow because they have to make tons of money because they have to pay out a ton of money. Not all of the blame is at the union level, as there is plenty of wasteful spending at the corporate level, too. Luckily, the UAW has realized that they are a big reason why the Domestic auto is uncompetitive on many levels and have eased their contracts to ease the burden on the manufacturers and make to competitive again, at least on fiscal field.

It's...complicated. But not the end. The Big Three will be around for many years to come. It'll take at least 5 years before life starts to appear again, but it's there. Don't expect a whole lot of new cars or updates to be coming, and expect to see quite a few models quietly leave the party.

Take it easy people, Please be respectful of others....

I have received complaints about this thread.

It will be allowed to continue but if i get more complaints or see more of the above garbage being spewed allover this great site, It will be dealt with...

Thank you

Todd Z

It's...complicated. But not the end. The Big Three will be around for many years to come. It'll take at least 5 years before life starts to appear again, but it's there. Don't expect a whole lot of new cars or updates to be coming, and expect to see quite a few models quietly leave the party.

I do think Tiger makes a good point..:) I think they will survive on a smaller scale and even deversify their $$ into other things as the tobbaco compnies have.

Sorry Les, not true.

G.P.s, internists,E.R. docs that work in county Hospitals barely approach 150K a yr.

Factor in office space and Malp insurance and the numbers go down even more.

Docs with a large patient base consisting of Medi-care and medi-cal make even less.

I worked in Cardiac surg, for 35 years.

In the 70s and early 80s a cardiac surg made approx 10 K per case.

for the past 15 yrs medi-care reimbursment has been $1250.00 per case.

Thats for the initial workup, bypass surg,post op care,and 30 days of follow up.

Works out to maybe 30 bux an Hr..

Docs are leaving medicine in droves, no money in it for 10/12 yrs of education.

Docs are leaving medicine in droves, no money in it for 10/12 yrs of education.

I know what you are saying. If a pre-med student's first course was on how CMS runs Medicare and Medicaid and how difficult it is to get reimbursement, they would never enter the field.

However, here in S. Florida, physicians can still make good money with minimal investment and none that I know make less than 200K a year, and most make between 300 & 400K. Hell, they got guys playing dentist working out of their homes making 150K a year (at least till they get shut down). The plastic surgeons here are the Kings of Doctorhood...

Plastic surg. cosmetic surg and a few others are a whole diff deal.

No insurance to deal with, is all cash up front.

The east coast has the highest Malp ins costs in the country.

If your an OB-GYN doc in florida your paying maybe 75/90 K a year, take that off the top and it becomes pathetic.

OB-GYNs in Florida shouldn't get paid much...mostly old, retired women with plumbing all dried up. (no offense).

Medical malpractice insurance, and the red-tape of healthcare insurance billing is what is driving docs out of the profession. We don't need socialized medicine, but we do need healthcare reform to deal with those two issues.

My view of reform is to:

- Make it easier to get rid of bad doctors.

- Many fewer bad docs practicing lessens the need for heavty malpractice insurance.

- Which allows some torte reform

- More govt sponsored wellness care centers for low income and un-insured in poor residential areas....the poor don't live with the rich, but today they often work next to them and use the ER in their neighborhoods. Send them back to the ghettos for wellcare. May sound harsh, but anything to get them to stop using the ER for wellness care.

- ...and, finally, cut the billing red-tape by requiring some uniformity in billing/reimbursement standards (read: don't allow the ultra-high rate of denials what with the MO of the insurers to deny many first-claims on technicalities).

TJR

OB-GYNs in Florida shouldn't get paid much...mostly old, retired women with plumbing all dried up. (no offense).

/\/\/\...:lol:...yeah but we still got plently of hot babes in S. Florida !!!

Latest posts