What did you do to your Sport Trac today?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine now has 247 K on it so you should be able to get a lot more out of it! I also appreciate all the information I have learned from this site - I keep learning..... I think now both differentials need rebuilding so am looking around for someone I trust to deal with it - I would like to tackle this myself but I don't feel set up or have the time to take that job on - maybe when I retire but need it fixed before then - worth it if I can get another 100 K miles out of it
Great to see how long your truck has lasted. IMO the Tacoma and the Sport Trac are two of the best trucks in their class produced. I'm impressed how many of those two vehicles, of the same generation as ours are still around. Though in these parts, we don't have the snow, ice and road salt that can age them into the junkyard. Happy trails with the differentials.

I'm way late seeing and commenting on this post from Nov, but that shroud hasn't been cut. Ford used radiators with 2" top channels and some with 1" top channels. The radiator shown has a 1" top channel, but the shroud is for a 2" top channel radiator. My '01 has the 2" channel and my '02 has the 1". The cores on the original radiators are 1" regardless of the top channel.

Regarding toppers - I have one on both my trucks. I searched Craigslist everyday for 16-17 months before I found the ARE for my '02. I searched in a 2-300 mile radius, and eventually found one about 6 miles from home for $600 in 2014. I was happy with the 1 piece cover on my '01, and the factory cover after getting one when I swapped beds, but occasionally needed a topper for work (or drive the '02 everyday), and I was fortunate to find one locally in about 2 weeks that I have about $150 in. It's some off-brand, and not ARE quality, but it matches my truck. I've had toppers on every truck I've owned except my 1st one, including 3 Rancheros and 3 F-series, and I would take the toppers off once in a while just for a change. The topper has been on the '02 since I bought it in May 2014, and the topper has been on the '01 since I bought it in the spring of 2018. I sometimes think of taking it off the '01, but probably never will. They're just so useful and look so good!

Changed the dangerously cracked fan on the '02 last week.

I bought a motorcycle 2.5hrs away. Measured beforehand "it'll fit", and was correct! The Duke fits in the back of the Trac without issue. :)
20220307_165054.jpg

I've moved my Suzuki DRZ-400S dual-sport motorcycle in the bed of both of my STs when I've taken it longer distances. I use a receiver hitch carrier for shorter treks to trailheads when I don't want to ride the bike that far from home before hitting the trails.

Install a new set of Wheels on my 10’ STA.
34026AE3-F7FB-40B5-BE6D-904E7DC7979B.jpeg

Attachments

• 5D227194-DC5E-4A86-9FD2-240E36982F29.jpeg
    5D227194-DC5E-4A86-9FD2-240E36982F29.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 41
  • C041FB0B-9F55-43B0-BADC-48526DBAC59F.jpeg
    C041FB0B-9F55-43B0-BADC-48526DBAC59F.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 43
Picked up my 2002 from rear end shop here in California - complete rebuild of rear differential and new axle on drivers side

As I noted in other threads I have been noticing a whine for awhile now and have been trying to track it down - first thought it was the worn out tires so went with Michelins from Costco - noise seemed to lessen slightly at first but still there

Noise was coming from front with slight noise from rear at high speed - so next thought it was front wheel bearings - did not want to simply throw parts at it so spent a bit of time checking out front hubs - did not seem to be front hubs - so I changed transmission fluid and filter and since fluids in the differentials since they had not been changed in the 70 K miles I have put on it and who knows how long before - gear oil was pretty nasty.

No change in noise although with each mile driven the noise was steadily increasing - someone on this forum mentioned it might be the front diff so decided the problem was above me and took it to a shop that specializes in front and rear diff rear builds -

I am real happy with the work they did - the guy at the shop gave me a reasonable quote for checking the front and rear diff because he was not sure where the noise was coming from - wound up being the rear end was completely worn out - not surprising with nearly 248000 miles -they changed the bearings - ring and pinion etc - I have done the three recommended break in periods and so far it is awesome - quiet, running much smoother and more responsive

Having the shop do this cost a little less than $1700 - 1000 in parts and 700 in labour - the cheapest I could find a new rear of front diff online was 1300 - lots of used ones for around 400 but figured they would be high mileage and I plan to keep the truck so went with the shop and this would have been a pain for me

Probably too much information but thought I would share in case it helps someone else as many stories on the forum have helped me - I was surprised that the noise could travel through the drive train and sound like it was coming from the front

I ordered rear suspension parts...LOL Dam trailing arms are squeaking away....

Took the dog for another ride because apparently, he forgot that I got a new truck. Now I have muddy seats. Found my first project on this truck. The back window seal has worked most of itself loose and into the cavity below.

I got a new starter last week and this past Friday installed a bored out throttle body from Zabtek. I want to get through a tank of gas and then plan on doing a little review, but will say for now that I'm happy with the results so far.

Discovered yesterday that my left front coil spring is broken...2010 STA. Then discovered that the ford parts sites list them as "discontinued".
Rockauto had "one" pair left so I went ahead and ordered them. Hopefully they are correct.
Great.

Replaced ABS module, pump, lines, and bracket assembly on 2009 STA. Got used parts from salvage yard. Fixed that annoying “Check Brake System” error and stopped the ABS, Traction Control, and Brake warning lights on dashboard!

New led headlights, driving lights, side markers, license plate and mirror lights. New sway bar links and while I was under it I change oil.

Not today, but a few days ago I replaced the transfer case shift motor. Nice to have that working since the snow has already come down in WY.

Well, certainly not done just today, but it's been a busy couple of months with the new STA.
*All fluids changed.
*New color matched fiberglass cap.
*New rear brakes, rotors, calipers and pads.
*2 sets of OE rims power coated in metallic bronze. Matching sets for summer/winter.
*New Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires for summer.
*New Bridgestone Blizzak DM V2 tires for winter.
*New audio system (head unit, front and rear speakers, subs and 3 old school amps) with back up camera (emblem mounted).
*Built in power inverter. One outlet in center console of back seat, second outlet replaced the 12v outlet in the bed.
*New headlight assemblies, old ones were badly yellowed and wouldn't polish out.
*New taillight assemblies, old ones had been spray paint tinted, I don't like tinted lighting.
*Trailer brake controller.
*K&N cold air intake.
*Full dual exhaust. 2.25 pipe from cats to duel in/dual out Borla Pro XS muffler, 2.25 pipe to dual 4" black exhaust tips at factory location.
*SCT tuner and tune from Torrie at Unleashed tuning
*New front bearing assemblies.
*New suspension, everything. Front: strut assemblies, upper and lower control arms, sway bar links and bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends. Rear: strut assemblies, complete knuckles (with bearings and parking brakes), trailing arm bushings, all control and lateral arms, sway bar end links and bushings.
*Color matched the front and rear emblems red/black to match the truck.
*Blacked out the rear tailgate logos to get rid of any remaining chrome.
*A couple of new door seal trims.

I'm sure I am forgetting something, but that's a good list to start with.

I will try to give her a bath tomorrow and post some pictures.

Latest posts