2007 ST Ordering Guide

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 292 HP, you only need a 3.73 axle. Those that get the V6 aren't looking for a towing vehicle.

Tom

I hope the SVT Adrenaline comes out somewhat close to the Concept, otherwise this whole forum will turn against Ford. :D You guys are harsh! But, I totally understand what you all are saying. I Didn't like the front end piece, voiced that. I didn't like the fuel door on opposit side, voiced that. I can understand about the towing/off roading, for the folks that do this. I do like the inbed storage. I dunno, looked better zebra striped at the proving grounds. I guess all Ford really listened about was Like Tiger said, about the V8. I guess I'll see what they do with the SVT model. I'm kinda skeptical there.

2 thoughts...you guys gotta remember why the rear window isn't coming out in Job1 (at least the reason they gave us...safety issues...by actual production it could change). Be patient and wait for Job2 if that's what you want. I know I would. Secondly, notice the 2WD people who want more of a street truck aren't complaining too much (except the rear end ratio and limited slip)...it's all us 4WD guys who want a truck more than an SUV that have the issues. No solid axle, no lifting options, no tow hooks...this pushes me towards an actual truck (which everyone has) and I liked being unique with the ST.

As for towing Fer...have you ever towed with the ST through the mountains? The V6 works WAAAAY too hard. Maybe in Ohio it's fine, but here in AZ I'm pegged at 4000 RPM's most of the time and sucking gas...I need the V8. But I also want to lift it a little... not to run 38's, but enough to run 35's. And the ST gave all of us the option to either lift or lower or keep it where it's at. Now there's no lift option and I'll be looking elsewhere for a vehicle. I liked that my wife would drive the ST and not feel like she was driving a truck, but I guaratee you she won't let me get the SuperDuty because she won't drive it...too big. I'll have to put her in a SuperCrew and pray she's comfortable.

I've considered plenty of scenarios to figure out if I can work with this new ST...but more and more the answer is NO. And that sucks...:angry:

Fer,

Lets take the weekend warrior out of the equasion. Someone that tows, and I am not talking about the small boat or JetSki to the lake, but someone that tows 4 to 6 thousand pounds on a regular basis won't even consider a V6.

Tom

Dad hit the nail on the head with the Trac. Back when I got my Trac, Dad told me Ford will ruin it. How true he was.

Tom

I agree with Nelson-- If I had to regularly tow something that heavy, I'd get a towing vehicle-- probably a F-250. The Trac is OK for regular light duty towing >1500 pounds, or for occaisional heavier towing, but it is not really a towing vehicle.

Now, I guess one could get something like my sister has for towing her horses: F-350SD extended cab 4x4 dually with 6.0 litre PowerStroke diesel! That thing is a towing MONSTER!

4,000 to 6,000 lbs is not that much weight. Some people don't want an F-150. The new trac will be plenty big enough for that weight. An F-250 to tow 6,000 lbs is overkill. An F-150 rated to tow 9,900 LBS has 300 HP, the Trac has 292.

6,000 LBS will be a breeze with the new Trac.

Gavin and Nelson, have either of you towed anything with your Trac?

Tom

I got my Trac for 2 specific reasons:

- As a homeowner and someone who likes to DIY and garden I needed the occasional use of a pick-up bed, but wanted more than a Ranger.

- I wanted a Ford, but a F150 Quad Cab was too big for my garage. It would have been too long and wide to allow me to still have space to store items in the garage since the house I now live in has a 2 car not a 2 1/2 car garage. I also do not plan on regularly towing large items, but wanted the option to do it if needed.

After considering all of the options, the Trac was the perfect fit. Ruggedness, but high end features I wanted along with not being too big.

If they F*** up the Trac as it looks like they are, I may go with what I have also been considering. That would be a bare bones ranger for those times when I need a pick-up and my daily driver would be a car like a BMW 325x (all-wheel drive for these upstate NY winters) or a VW Passat with 4motion all wheel drive.

But I love my Trac and hope by the time I start looking to replace which would probably be another year that Ford has awoken from their FUNK!

:(:wacko:

Cayman:

I've not towed anything with my Trac yet. I have used my wife's Liberty to tow some stuff around town (she has the towing package and the Class III hitch). The Liberty isn't a great towing vehicle either (short wheelbase), but it gets the job done for light stuff around town.

I've towed quite a bit with a previous Ranger ('99 extended cab) with a factory receiver hitch. Even with a small trailer, the V-6 was pretty taxed, and I felt that the Ranger's frame just wasn't up to towing very well.

If I am going to tow heavy loads or even light ones regularly, I wouldn't ask the Trac to do it. I'd get something bigger.

What engine was in the 99 Ranger? 4.0 OHV engine? Comparing the two against each other is like comparing a diesel to a gasoline engine.

I towed a 2000 LB trailer to Florida last year. Pulling it 75 to 85 MPH and the Trac never broke a sweat. Right up and down the mountains of WV and VA like nothing was behind me.

Tom

My brother in law has a Mazda (Ranger) 4x4 with a 3.0. It's been dependable, but it's very weak.

The 3.0l OHV Vulcan is horrible for the Ranger, but really nice in a Taurus. has plenty of power and gets way over 30 MPG on the highway.

Dad got a 1998 Taurus, 96,000 miles with a spotless body, to tow behind his camper. Taking it out for a spin, I had it up to 110 MPH and still had more the go. In Dad's Ranger, it can't get out of its own way.

Tom

I'm flip flopping back and forth on the '07 ST. I have just about 65K miles on my '01 ST and I dont know how its going to do as a vehicle that yo ukeep for at least 10 years and put on well over 100K miles. I know there are people here with over 100K miles but I'm talking the abusive stop and go, pot hole miles in NYC. Vehicles just dont last that long here unless you drive like an old ladym which I dont! Also I use my truck like a truck and haul loads and sometimes tow and so on.

I would like to "upgrade" to the '07 but there are issues that have to be ironed out first. Has to have rear disk brakes. After more than 15 years with Fords I am tired of the Ford mushy brake syndrome.

Is there a way to beef up the rear suspension on an IRS? There is no roadmaster active suspension for that. If the rear suspensino on an '07 is like the '01 then it will not suit my needs for hauling. I guess I might be able to live without limited slip in the rear, not sure. Of course the already stated sliding rear window and so on. I would go with the v-8 because I think the v-6 has to work way to hard for an almost 5000 lb truck.

still thinking .... Ford, listening????

I would like to "upgrade" to the '07 but there are issues that have to be ironed out first. Has to have rear disk brakes.

What makes you think it won't have rear disc brakes? The '06 Explorer (upon which the new ST is based) has four-wheel disc brakes. And the ST has had four-wheel disc brakes since 2003. Most modern cars and trucks are now equipped with four-wheel disc brakes. Drum brakes are fast becoming obsolete.

johnnyB, The only reat statement you can make is doing what I am going to do, wait untill 2012 till they wise up to the mistakes they are doing.

Till then, I will drive my Trac like it was suposed to be driven. 250,000+ miles.

Tom

I have not actually seen it written anywhere that it has rear disk brakes. I assume it will but will not be sure until I see it in the standard equipment list.

2012? I doubt my '01 (built Nov. 2000) will last 12 years without having to have the engine and or tranny rebuilt.

Latest posts